Santa Clara Vanguard 2019

6 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

Again I think you are misinterpreting my statement. Kids don't march for competitive success alone. Certainly some do but most by a HUGE majority do it for the pure experience. Competition is part of that experience but it isn't what drive kids to join a corps.

From some of my friends who have marched in a variety of corps, it seems like member experience and quality of instruction are the biggest factors 

10 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

From some of my friends who have marched in a variety of corps, it seems like member experience and quality of instruction are the biggest factors 

and winning doesn't suck either...lol

accomplishing one's goals, making finals, top 10 etc can also mean winning. Hell, for many it's just making a corps. I do many auditions fall winter and summer and I hear it all.

1 hour ago, Spatzzz said:

Again I think you are misinterpreting my statement. Kids don't march for competitive success alone. Certainly some do but most by a HUGE majority do it for the pure experience. Competition is part of that experience but it isn't what drive kids to join a corps.

Thanks for the clarification. I agree, marchers decide to march ( and stay or leave ) in a Corps for a whole host of reasons. That said, the competition is a big reason for the lure. In my view, they'd not be a lot of kids flocking to Drum Corps if they did 9 weeks of unscored exhibitions in the summer... no matter the " experience " of the numerous intangible, and undeniable positive benefits that might accrue with that experience . The Competition  aspect of DCI  is not only what drives the Corps but DCI itself. Its one of the principal reasons we increasingly see/ hear performance excellence across the spectrum of  DCI Drum Corps. Competition does tend to elevate the overall levels of performance excellence with things. Kids with musical talent tend to be attracted to things that are musically excellent, or aspire to be excellent.  Most kids don't want to do summer long exhibitions in Drum Corps.( Besides, any youth musical unit that forgos competition for unscored summer's exhibitions would find itself in a deterioration in its performance quality in short order ).  Its the summer's Drum Corps competition that is the principal lure for the vast majority of DCI Drum Corps marchers, imo. Same as it ever was.

Edited by BRASSO

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, DWW11 said:

BD Performing Arts Welcomes Shaun Gallant as Executive Director

2018-09-21

shaun.jpg

BD Performing Arts is pleased to welcome Shaun Gallant to lead BDPA as Executive Director. Shaun is a drum corps veteran and comes to BDPA from Vanguard Music and Performing Arts where he served as Director of Programs and led both the Vanguard Cadets and SCV to World Championship titles in 2018. Shaun was also named 2018 Director of the Year by his peers at DCI.

A native of Paso Robles, California, Shaun began his drum corps career in 2004 playing marimba in the front ensemble of the Vanguard Cadets and aged out of the the Vanguard in 2008. He also served on the teaching staff of Vanguard Cadets from 2010 to 2012.

He holds a Bachelor of Music in Percussion Performance from Morehead State University and a earned a Master of Music in Percussion Performance from NYU in 2012. Before returning to the West Coast Shaun launched and ran his own successful entertainment company, Gallant Entertainment.

Shaun said, “To lead BD Performing Arts is a true honor. I look forward to continuing their commitment to innovation and enriching young lives around the world. I would like to thank the entire VMAPA organization for helping shape me into the person I am today and for providing memories that I will cherish forever.”

“We feel incredibly fortunate that Shaun felt that the time was right for him to move across the Bay,” said Rosa Lee Harden, President of BD Performing Arts. “His gifts, proven skills, and vision for the future of the drum corps activity is exactly what BDPA needs to continue our commitment to innovative excellence. We look forward to welcoming Shaun, and his wife Tiffani, to the BDPA family.”

This sucks, another reason to dislike BD a little more.

This would be like the Patriots hiring Rams' coach McVay after he leads them to a Super Bowl win. Or Doug Peterson

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jeffe77 said:

This would be like the Patriots hiring Rams' coach McVay after he leads them to a Super Bowl win. Or Doug Peterson

You might really be ticked off if the Boston Crusaders went after some of the BD staff after their last finals championship.

13 minutes ago, Jeffe77 said:

This sucks, another reason to dislike BD a little more.

Why would this cause you to dislike BD? They had an opening, and HE applied for it. This was his choice to go for the gig. But yeah, it's BD's fault he made a personal life decision.

#youwinlogic

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Ghost said:

You might really be ticked off if the Boston Crusaders went after some of the BD staff after their last finals championship.

Who’s to say they didn't?