Santa Clara Vanguard 2019

1 hour ago, Quad Aces said:

What’s so magical about the May date?  Why does everything get settled by May every year then?

I understand that securing all the different rights involved (performance, sync, etc.) isn’t just point, click, and pay - that part I get.  What I’m referring to is this idea that all the corps waiting to announce are waiting for the rights to fall into place.  Then - poof - they all fall into place around the end of May/beginning of June - always, every year, like clockwork.  Doesn’t seem likely at all.

Maybe a small portion can be attributed to that, but the vast majority that wait to release seem to be purely following the trend that waiting as long as possible to release builds some sort of hype about the program or doesn’t give away some sort of competitive advantage or prevents the corps from being criticized too early for their design - whether any of that is actually misguided or not.

There are probably as many reasons for varied release dates as there are corps. For some it does add to the hype and excitement, for some an early release date may be a way of saying we’re geared up and ready to go, and has been suggested here, securing rights can be an issue. Another factor, top tier corps have little difficulties recruiting the talent needed for a show, but some corps may need to wait on deciding whether to use a piece until they knew for certain the corps could perform it. Then there is always the reality that what works on paper does not work in practicality and a change is needed which may be just a variation of what I said earlier.

Regarding securing rights, this is an inexact science to say the least, and it seems like each season a new twist is discovered, often when it’s too late. 

This being the Saturday before Memorial Day, I can recall back in the day (late 70’s/early 80’s) there would be a competition on this day somewhere in New England, usually in Connecticut or Rhode Island. You would get the first glimpse of 27th, BAC, North Star, Cadets (though always called Garfield), Bridgemen with other corps such as Holy Family Defenders, St. Francis Sancians, Pembroke Imperials, and Sword Excalibur, a corps I remembered because I was a King Arthur fanatic, and a few others. That was the “show announcement.” 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tim K said:

There are probably as many reasons for varied release dates as there are corps. For some it does add to the hype and excitement, for some an early release date may be a way of saying we’re geared up and ready to go, and has been suggested here, securing rights can be an issue. Another factor, top tier corps have little difficulties recruiting the talent needed for a show, but some corps may need to wait on deciding whether to use a piece until they knew for certain the corps could perform it. Then there is always the reality that what works on paper does not work in practicality and a change is needed which may be just a variation of what I said earlier.

Regarding securing rights, this is an inexact science to say the least, and it seems like each season a new twist is discovered, often when it’s too late. 

This being the Saturday before Memorial Day, I can recall back in the day (late 70’s/early 80’s) there would be a competition on this day somewhere in New England, usually in Connecticut or Rhode Island. You would get the first glimpse of 27th, BAC, North Star, Cadets (though always called Garfield), Bridgemen with other corps such as Holy Family Defenders, St. Francis Sancians, Pembroke Imperials, and Sword Excalibur, a corps I remembered because I was a King Arthur fanatic, and a few others. That was the “show announcement.” 

and remember when corps took part in Memorial Day ceremonies and parades, not just spending the day learning plie`s only to have re-writes the next rehearsal.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, xandandl said:

and remember when corps took part in Memorial Day ceremonies and parades, not just spending the day learning plie`s only to have re-writes the next rehearsal.

And when people attended Memorial Day ceremonies and parades, which are usually not very long. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, xandandl said:

There might have been a contest or two during the weekend.

21 minutes ago, Ghost said:

There might have been a contest or two during the weekend.

Saturday and Sunday, certainly. The Monday probably not. If memory serves me correctly, for the CYO Circuit in the Boston area, the first shows were on the Saturday or Sunday of Memorial Day when the holiday was later, the first weekend of June when it was early.

3 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Saturday and Sunday, certainly. The Monday probably not. If memory serves me correctly, for the CYO Circuit in the Boston area, the first shows were on the Saturday or Sunday of Memorial Day when the holiday was later, the first weekend of June when it was early.

Man, I remember Memorial Day contests in the Great Lakes DBCA. All the shows were “May clean”  ... well, some were “April clean.”😂

• Haha 5

14 hours ago, Quad Aces said:

What’s so magical about the May date?  Why does everything get settled by May every year then?

I understand that securing all the different rights involved (performance, sync, etc.) isn’t just point, click, and pay - that part I get.  What I’m referring to is this idea that all the corps waiting to announce are waiting for the rights to fall into place.  Then - poof - they all fall into place around the end of May/beginning of June - always, every year, like clockwork.  Doesn’t seem likely at all.

Maybe a small portion can be attributed to that, but the vast majority that wait to release seem to be purely following the trend that waiting as long as possible to release builds some sort of hype about the program or doesn’t give away some sort of competitive advantage or prevents the corps from being criticized too early for their design - whether any of that is actually misguided or not.

if i recall, as part of all the licensing dust up, everything had to be in to DCI by May. My hunch is corps make sure they do it right and meet the DCi deadline.....then announce.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

soprano sustains this year LOL

• Like 2