Santa Clara Vanguard 2019

The costumes are atrocious and perfectly sums up where this activity has landed. This, combined with the activity's preference for theatre over athleticism makes me hope my kids never gain an interest in marching.  It's a d*mn shame. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, HolyNOLA said:

The costumes are atrocious and perfectly sums up where this activity has landed. This, combined with the activity's preference for theatre over athleticism makes me hope my kids never gain an interest in marching.  It's a d*mn shame. 

You forgot to log out of DCP 😏

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, HolyNOLA said:

I don’t disregard your opinion, because it’s yours, but to discount the athleticism going on in today’s shows is, in my opinion, absurd.  

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, HolyNOLA said:

I don't disagree, but have decided it's not changing and look for a few, like Bluecoats, who know how best to work with the new ideas. I have noticed already there is less marching this year.  Kinda makes me sad.  I do love good old marching and music with less theareics though. 

I kinda wonder if Vanguard’s uniforms are intentionally designed to be controversial/casual as their show theme seems to be about challenging the status quo...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Angst over modern drum corps costumes/uniforms seems kind of like complaining about changes to college football uniforms. Purists hate that change, but we’re in a new era and aren’t heading back folks. We all probably have a particular year or period of years that best define the visual identity of our favorite corps, but if we hold that too firmly it prevents us from being able to enjoy the group as their look changes (nowadays an annual thing). 

Similarly, complaining about modern drum corps marching/visual style is like complaining about the spread offense in college football and wanting the wishbone to come back. I fully understand that evolution of an activity doesn’t sit well with all fans but that’s the nature of most activities - especially one that is artistic. I personally think evolution is a major strength of drum corps - each decade has seen tremendous change - while still maintaining the identity of the activity.

Excited to see what Santa Clara and the rest of the field put on display for us this summer!

Edited by scvphan
  • Like 2