Santa Clara Vanguard 2019

Just now, dans said:

Thanks for the well thought out response. It's refreshing to not be attacked for having an opinion. Thank you!

Well, it would be silly to attack you for having not liking their uniforms. But, you're welcome. 

12 hours ago, scvphan said:

Angst over modern drum corps costumes/uniforms seems kind of like complaining about changes to college football uniforms. Purists hate that change, but we’re in a new era and aren’t heading back folks. We all probably have a particular year or period of years that best define the visual identity of our favorite corps, but if we hold that too firmly it prevents us from being able to enjoy the group as their look changes (nowadays an annual thing). 

Similarly, complaining about modern drum corps marching/visual style is like complaining about the spread offense in college football and wanting the wishbone to come back. I fully understand that evolution of an activity doesn’t sit well with all fans but that’s the nature of most activities - especially one that is artistic. I personally think evolution is a major strength of drum corps - each decade has seen tremendous change - while still maintaining the identity of the activity.

Excited to see what Santa Clara and the rest of the field put on display for us this summer!

I don't hate change. Bluecoats are my favorite so far. And I suspect I will really like SCV this year...I did last year. Just not thrilled with the costume choice for SCV.

• Like 2

Well, one thing is for certain, it looks like SCV is trying to take the "Hair Flipping" caption this year. How many times in a row has BD won it now? BD is in trouble, sorry, but "Hair Flipping" might go to Vanguard this year.

• Confused 2

29 minutes ago, dans said:

I don't hate change. Bluecoats are my favorite so far. And I suspect I will really like SCV this year...I did last year. Just not thrilled with the costume choice for SCV.

Doubt the outfits affect scoring, show design, and mm talent.

Watched cell phone video from last. Night- so poor quality but they sound good! I love the music! 

In the minority but, with the exception of my body is a cage, I think it's much more accessible than last year music wise. 

I didn't follow the visuals or the theme at all- but you know- cell phone video.

Was that a Harmon mute I heard (stem out)? 😁 That scores points for me!

In other news I saw their uniform reveal on Reddit and thought the OP was kidding. I don't think rebels dressed that way in the 90s.

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

Doubt the outfits affect scoring, show design, and mm talent.

They do " IF" they are used for effect or part of an overall theme. Same goes for props etc etc. They can make or break a show. We have all seen the break part. If it is  on the field in one way or another it is judged, especially if it is obvious that the designer makes it a part of the show. It's like saying color choices don't make a difference to the music or mood...It sure does!

Edited by GUARDLING

6 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Well, one thing is for certain, it looks like SCV is trying to take the "Hair Flipping" caption this year. How many times in a row has BD won it now? BD is in trouble, sorry, but "Hair Flipping" might go to Vanguard this year.

I’m not sure... BD is known for their great hairography and hairexecution! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I’m not sure... BD is known for their great hairography and hairexecution! 

I gotta say I loved it last year. I loved that all female Sabre feature and all the hair flipping. It was good fun.

• Thanks 2