Santa Clara Vanguard 2019

I think the point to the main uniforms is to look like a spray painted graffiti tag on concrete, but, the selected colors for the "paint" V really don't pop. At least on video.

SCV's mics and electronics were in pretty good balance on the flo stream of Stanford today, unlike the other corps' setups. (e.g. Cavies were fairly awful in terms of that, and BD had some soloist mic issues I heard.)

I watched a video of Vox Eversio again and...why is the visual demand nonexistent. They flutter run to many sets and the drill is easy. How do they get away with it???!

There are so many high schools with more difficult visual programs. I can’t be the only one who thinks this??

10 minutes ago, DASCFan said:

I watched a video of Vox Eversio again and...why is the visual demand nonexistent. They flutter run to many sets and the drill is easy. How do they get away with it???!

There are so many high schools with more difficult visual programs. I can’t be the only one who thinks this??

There is tons of visual demand.  It is just different than traditional marching.  Very complex choreography the hornline is being asked to do including flips, cartwheels, etc....  But it is very compact again like last year and the uniform color for the corps proper does it no favors.

6 minutes ago, cadet93 said:

There is tons of visual demand.  It is just different than traditional marching.  Very complex choreography the hornline is being asked to do including flips, cartwheels, etc....  But it is very compact again like last year and the uniform color for the corps proper does it no favors.

Yeah you’re right. I guess I’m more used to traditional drill and don’t understand the demand of choreography since I haven’t been exposed to it myself.

4 hours ago, cadet93 said:

How is that stuff judged though if it's usually done by individuals, or at most a small pod which isn't even lined up to be properly read from the press box. Like how can you tell if it's together? Unless the idea of visual demand has changed so thoroughly that it no longer matters for individual members to perform as a unit.

I dunno. Just looks like a bunch of visual noise punctuated by some big booming brass hits.

27 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

How is that stuff judged though if it's usually done by individuals, or at most a small pod which isn't even lined up to be properly read from the press box. Like how can you tell if it's together? Unless the idea of visual demand has changed so thoroughly that it no longer matters for individual members to perform as a unit.

I dunno. Just looks like a bunch of visual noise punctuated by some big booming brass hits.

Blue Devils win visuals all the time. They have never marched crazy drill

Edited by ThePlanets

9 minutes ago, ThePlanets said:

Blue Devils win visuals all the time. They have never marched crazy drill

They usually march a decent amount of it though, very cleanly.

Not that SCV '19 isn't clean. It's "messy" but not in that sense of the word. Just so much fluttering around and dancing. I like that stuff in the appropriate quantity, but this show just seems... distracting.