Santa Clara Vanguard 2019

This show needs to be seen live before fair judgments can be made.  I've watched the flo video plus some others that are floating around and they just don't do it justice.  I think this hornline has a better ensemble sound NOW than they did at finals last year.  They sound like everybody else in the videos, but when you're sitting in front of them and they hit that first impact, you're just floored by how incredible they sound.  I can't imagine what they'll sound like as the season progresses.

I made the "pajamas" observation the first time I saw their uniforms as well but if you sit up close, they look better.  But, frankly, you should be sitting up close to watch this corps anyway.  You'll be missing a lot of the detail otherwise.  

I'm looking forward to seeing them put the closer on the field.   

Side note:  There's a reason Mandarins are getting the love they're getting right now.  They're really good.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Another Sanford Award in the bag for SCV. Good gravy, those guys are out of this world good and a cut above the rest. 

Didn't particularly care for the pajama look unis, but figure there has to be a better appeal for them in person. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, scvjesse said:

This show needs to be seen live before fair judgments can be made.  I've watched the flo video plus some others that are floating around and they just don't do it justice.  I think this hornline has a better ensemble sound NOW than they did at finals last year.  They sound like everybody else in the videos, but when you're sitting in front of them and they hit that first impact, you're just floored by how incredible they sound.  I can't imagine what they'll sound like as the season progresses.

I made the "pajamas" observation the first time I saw their uniforms as well but if you sit up close, they look better.  But, frankly, you should be sitting up close to watch this corps anyway.  You'll be missing a lot of the detail otherwise.  

Side note:  There's a reason Mandarins are getting the love they're getting right now.  They're really good.  

After watching it live at Stanford and even on YT, their hornline is definitely a cut above the rest. And I'm hearing that with no music educational background.  Usually it's difficult for me to notice the quality  differences between the top groups. They are danged good. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, ThePlanets said:

Blue Devils win visuals all the time. They have never marched crazy drill

In recent years they've been marching more than most

• Like 6

Watching them rehearse at Santa Clara High School. I didn’t think it was physically possible to top last year’s closer, and yet…

• Like 4

15 hours ago, scvjesse said:

THIS. A thousand x's this. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hrothgar15 said:

Watching them rehearse at Santa Clara High School. I didn’t think it was physically possible to top last year’s closer, and yet…

Thanks for the tidbit wonder when it will be in.

10 hours ago, Hrothgar15 said:

Came here to say this after finding a video of them performing it during an encore (it's not hard to find). The first half of it especially blows me away and to be honest it's some of the most gorgeous brass writing I've ever heard. I, too, would love some potential info on when it'll be in. Really hoping I'll get to see it this upcoming Monday at the AZ show - only show I can attend this season. At the very least catch them rehearsing it if they venture out into the Phoenix heat.

On that note, does anyone know how best I can go about finding them when they're in town?

Edited by brassdude6171
  • Like 1

AGREED! The closer has a beautiful and stirring ballad— no doubt it’s the emotional centerpiece of the whole show, and frankly, given the show’s overall intensity and abstract-ness, it’s what it needs to tie it all together. It’s HECKING good. Each section just singsssss but the tubas really take your breath away. Mellos too but that’s no surprise.

And man, that SCV brass! Such a full, heavy sound yet so clear and precise. I see them running away with the music caption again this year. 

Edited by just_another_fanatic
  • Like 1