Santa Clara Vanguard 2019

Just caught that video. I dunno if it's better than last year's, but yeah, it's pretty good.

I'm pretty disappointed by how they handled the Metallica though. I spent the whole show waiting for the big, sustained hit that never came.

• Like 2

Anyone have a uhhh... link to the closer?  I missed out.  EDIT: nm, found it!

EDIT 2: Holy smokes that closer sounds amazing.  I wish it was in at Stanford, even as a standstill.

Edited by NeutralNovice

The best part of this SCV show is that it’s still a skeleton of what it’ll be later on in the season... that is a good thing because as of now.... they are performing what they have at a very high level. Wait until they get the transitions in between the pieces just how they want them and the closer gets put in...plus, there are elements in the show they have planned but haven’t implemented yet.. it’s going to be tough to beat. 

• Like 3

This closer is anything but a rehash of Babylon's Metropolis 1927.  That was slam the gas pedal to the floor and go.  This is shear rip your heart out and grind it to a bloody pulp on the ground, emotional power.  I'm not sold on the front half the show yet but let's wait and see how it all fits together with this closer.  Considering the power and intensity they are already playing it with this show is going to have that raw emotion you get with those old Bernstein conducting Mahler Symphonies recordings.  Top six is already going to a a bloodbath, in a great way, but SCV is going to steamroll a lot of corps with this offering and their performance level.  

Only of the first week has gone by and I can already say there are at least 4 championship worthy shows!

• Like 4

Wednesday at 12:13 AM, Alzam81 said:

The best part of this SCV show is that it’s still a skeleton of what it’ll be later on in the season... that is a good thing because as of now.... they are performing what they have at a very high level. Wait until they get the transitions in between the pieces just how they want them and the closer gets put in...plus, there are elements in the show they have planned but haven’t implemented yet.. it’s going to be tough to beat. 

I could just imagine. If Bloo won gold and the crowd just sang "Na na na naaaaaaa HEY BLOO". That would be one of my favorite experiences ever as I will be at finals

posted from the DrumScorps app

On 6/26/2019 at 5:39 AM, Sideways said:

This closer is anything but a rehash of Babylon's Metropolis 1927.  That was slam the gas pedal to the floor and go.  This is shear rip your heart out and grind it to a bloody pulp on the ground, emotional power.  I'm not sold on the front half the show yet but let's wait and see how it all fits together with this closer.  Considering the power and intensity they are already playing it with this show is going to have that raw emotion you get with those old Bernstein conducting Mahler Symphonies recordings.  Top six is already going to a a bloodbath, in a great way, but SCV is going to steamroll a lot of corps with this offering and their performance level.  

Only of the first week has gone by and I can already say there are at least 4 championship worthy shows!

I think if Vanguard leaves San Bernardino without having lost to BD, they will go undefeated. If BD tops them, BD may win out, or they may dog fight to the end. Either way, I think those two will end up 1-2 at finals.

Edited by queenanne_1536

8 hours ago, Cfmninjaa said:

Wednesday at 12:13 AM, Alzam81 said:

I could just imagine. If Bloo won gold and the crowd just sang "Na na na naaaaaaa HEY BLOO". That would be one of my favorite experiences ever as I will be at finals

Wrong thread sorry

Observing their show, there is more staging than march and play. I agree that the pleasing asthestic of the show last season over came that issue.

As a long time SCV supporter, I'm not a big fan of this year's show yet, I'm all for Avant Garde and outside the box type shows, that said, it's becoming a WGI drumline show with horns staging throughout with the color guard doing their thing.

I'm almost forced to hope this show doesn't win, so that other designers may not follow suit in the future.

Of course the irony is that the aforementioned statement is also forcing me to confront the fact that I may be a dinosaur. 🦖(smh)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1