Santa Clara Vanguard 2019

24 minutes ago, Jeffe77 said:

Observing their show, there is more staging than march and play. I agree that the pleasing asthestic of the show last season over came that issue.

As a long time SCV supporter, I'm not a big fan of this year's show yet, I'm all for Avant Garde and outside the box type shows, that said, it's becoming a WGI drumline show with horns staging throughout with the color guard doing their thing.

I'm almost forced to hope this show doesn't win, so that other designers may not follow suit in the future.

Of course the irony is that the aforementioned statement is also forcing me to confront the fact that I may be a dinosaur. 🦖(smh)

This is the best post I’ve read this year- perhaps it’s because you read my mind? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jeffe77    882

DCP Fanatic

Posted 1 hour ago

Observing their show, there is more staging than march and play. I agree that the pleasing asthestic of the show last season over came that issue.

As a long time SCV supporter, I'm not a big fan of this year's show yet, I'm all for Avant Garde and outside the box type shows, that said, it's becoming a WGI drumline show with horns staging throughout with the color guard doing their thing.

I'm almost forced to hope this show doesn't win, so that other designers may not follow suit in the future.

Of course the irony is that the aforementioned statement is also forcing me to confront the fact that I may be a dinosaur. 🦖(smh)

Reply:

I agree. SCV spends too much time in blocked formations or on their props playing. There is little drill to speak of. Guess I have to go with BD this year. It's a much better entertaining show.

• Like 1

The irony here is that BD has been criticized for years for their staging.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, quietcity said:

In recent years there’s been many posts that “the BD do staging better than anyone else “

1 hour ago, quietcity said:

Have you watched BD's show? They've flipped the script, there's quite a bit of real marching and drill in their show 

Either way, BD was criticized for pioneering staging in a time where drill is the norm. Once other corps started hopping on board, staging became the norm and BD was recognized as being the best at it

• Like 4

I'm all in on this show musically. Will give overall thoughts after I see it live. 

Blue Stars and Crown are marching miles more worth of drill than SCV. Also, there should be penalties assessed for musical moments being blown to hell by needless DUTS— they’re a multi-Sanford winning drumline, and they can’t sub-divide quarter notes in their heads??? Look at me1 me2 me3 & me4 tossing a mute and all playing out of tune into a microphone for the big triple G payoff. Talk about self indulgent! 

Lets get it over with and have Cavies MW and Cavies West merge...they can then combine to design a 24 minute show where each performs half.  

I’m sorry but I’m glad GR is not alive to see this; it’s like “they” took the identity (what he loved most) and threw it over the Cliff of Doom just to secure the infinity Soul Stone.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Have you watched BD's show? They've flipped the script, there's quite a bit of real marching and drill in their show 

Either way, BD was criticized for pioneering staging in a time where drill is the norm. Once other corps started hopping on board, staging became the norm and BD was recognized as being the best at it

to paraphrase an old cadets shirt...first BD staged, then everyone started staging. Then we did drill

22 hours ago, TRacer said:

Blue Stars and Crown are marching miles more worth of drill than SCV. Also, there should be penalties assessed for musical moments being blown to hell by needless DUTS— they’re a multi-Sanford winning drumline, and they can’t sub-divide quarter notes in their heads??? Look at me1 me2 me3 & me4 tossing a mute and all playing out of tune into a microphone for the big triple G payoff. Talk about self indulgent! 

Lets get it over with and have Cavies MW and Cavies West merge...they can then combine to design a 24 minute show where each performs half.  

I’m sorry but I’m glad GR is not alive to see this; it’s like “they” took the identity (what he loved most) and threw it over the Cliff of Doom just to secure the infinity Soul Stone.  

The “ DUTS” are akin to tapping your foot on stage in an Orchestra or Concert Band performance.  Perhaps it’s written in the percussion score.  Just kidding.  They really should observe the rests (I.e. no sound.).  

35 minutes ago, HouserCD said:

The “ DUTS” are akin to tapping your foot on stage in an Orchestra or Concert Band performance.  Perhaps it’s written in the percussion score.  Just kidding.  They really should observe the rests (I.e. no sound.).  

I know you're joking but the last time I saw Duts purposefully written into a show was BD 2012 when the drum line yelled out "dut dut dut dada" right before a hornline hit. I wouldn't mind seeing corps do something like that if it fit with their theme, it's a cool effect