Santa Clara Vanguard 2019

Based on what I saw yesterday in IA (on Flo), I really like how the show is growing and changing. Looking forward to those changes and GO SCV!

Edited by RickCogley
  • Like 2

On 7/10/2019 at 7:35 AM, Minimaster said:

"Throughout history, counter-culture movements have come about to express opposition of mainstream ideas and beliefs. From the Beat Generation of the 50’s, to the Hippie Movement of the 60’s, and even the Underground Punk Rock Scene of the 70’s & 80’s. This summer, join the revolution as we set out to make our voices heard in a world where the pressure to conform too often takes priority over the expression and celebration of individuality."

I'm getting none of this from watching the actual show. In fact the opposite in that the similarity to last years winning show in this year's design is the height of conformity.

No punk band would ever say, "Oh you like when I do that, I guess I'll do it again." 

Treating Nothing Else Matters as a jazz standard is something your Dad would do to that Black Album track. 

Also, they are not being Individual or counter-culture by doing similar movement to what the Cavies were doing 10-15 years ago, having a drum break before the closer right out of early 200's Texas HS Band(Very Reagan HS 2002-2003ish, a ballad ending kneel done by BK 21 years ago, a tenor visual done by SCV in 98, and a closer drill strongly reminiscent on cadets 87 and SCV 97.

The only thing that I can see that is counter culture is look we have a Sousaphone, but even that is undercut by the fact that BD has one as well this year.

Even the 80's uniform aesthetic is incredibly popular and in no way counter culture with Stranger Things breaking records.

What am I missing? 

Didn’t Cavaliers do that exact same concept last two years? I guess it’s appealing to kids, but it’s such a tired concept.

• Thanks 2

On July 10, 2019 at 4:40 AM, Gizmit26 said:

Was at rehearsal yesterday. Let me say that some BIG changes are being worked on now that will make waves across the drum corps activity. Vanguard for certain.

That's great to hear because frankly, the complaints and nitpicking is getting tiresome. Of course the show will progress....but what is already on the field is extraordinary and masterful. It isn't safe, (cough cough Beatles), and spoon fed. I just enjoy the ride and adore the music....and look forward to the evolution. Go Santa Clara!

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

On 7/10/2019 at 5:35 AM, Minimaster said:

"Throughout history, counter-culture movements have come about to express opposition of mainstream ideas and beliefs. From the Beat Generation of the 50’s, to the Hippie Movement of the 60’s, and even the Underground Punk Rock Scene of the 70’s & 80’s. This summer, join the revolution as we set out to make our voices heard in a world where the pressure to conform too often takes priority over the expression and celebration of individuality."

I'm getting none of this from watching the actual show. In fact the opposite in that the similarity to last years winning show in this year's design is the height of conformity.

No punk band would ever say, "Oh you like when I do that, I guess I'll do it again." 

Treating Nothing Else Matters as a jazz standard is something your Dad would do to that Black Album track. 

Also, they are not being Individual or counter-culture by doing similar movement to what the Cavies were doing 10-15 years ago, having a drum break before the closer right out of early 200's Texas HS Band(Very Reagan HS 2002-2003ish, a ballad ending kneel done by BK 21 years ago, a tenor visual done by SCV in 98, and a closer drill strongly reminiscent on cadets 87 and SCV 97.

The only thing that I can see that is counter culture is look we have a Sousaphone, but even that is undercut by the fact that BD has one as well this year.

Even the 80's uniform aesthetic is incredibly popular and in no way counter culture with Stranger Things breaking records.

What am I missing? 

Good points, but it's still a good show for me.

• Thanks 1

It seems to me the show is trying too hard to be super intellectual and avant guard. There is not one moment of laid back intrigue or respite.  Last year's show had  six or so immediately identifiable moments. This year there are maybe one or two. In Ankeny, Waymire had them only two tenths above Blue Stars in rep.  

• Like 5

16 hours ago, POSITIVenrgy said:

That's great to hear because frankly, the complaints and nitpicking is getting tiresome. Of course the show will progress....but what is already on the field is extraordinary and masterful. It isn't safe, (cough cough Beatles), and spoon fed. I just enjoy the ride and adore the music....and look forward to the evolution. Go Santa Clara!

I am the biggest Vanguard fan. Have been since '84. I want them to win every year. That being said, it is far from nitpicking. They simply just don't play and move at the same time, moving at a faster pace than a moderate walking speed. There just simply isn't nearly enough drill. Next time you watch them, focus on who is playing and who is moving. Most of the time, those who aren't playing are moving and those who are are standing still. When they all move and play it is at a perhaps moderate walking pace.

That is why Bluecoats are beating them, that's why Blue Devils WILL beat them, and that's why Crown might beat them (if they can clean). I LOVE the music this year, but that isn't the problem. It's a complete lack of a visual program that is the problem. With Babylon, the props were so well integrated into the show and used in unique and inventive ways. The drill was great. The color scheme was great. The finale was an explosion. Really? The purpose of those poles with ladders is so people can climb them? Really? That's SO basic. Then again, all props (except) BD are used in basic ways. It's all just so stupid. BD uses theirs in unique and interesting ways. No one else does.

Vanguard has ZERO chance to win this year unless they have major changes coming that will enhance their show. I mostly don't like BD and I'm not the biggest Bluecoats fans, but both of their shows are vastly superior, on the visual front (and so are Crown, Cavies and BAC) to Vanguard's show. It's a big disappointment. The whole show shifts between a moderate pace and a slow pace. They needed fireworks in the closer and they aren't delivering. The closer is my favorite part of the show, but with the pacing of the rest of the show, they really need and up tempo closer that fires on all cylinders. 

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I am the biggest Vanguard fan. Have been since '84. I want them to win every year. That being said, it is far from nitpicking. They simply just don't play and move at the same time, moving at a faster pace than a moderate walking speed. There just simply isn't nearly enough drill. Next time you watch them, focus on who is playing and who is moving. Most of the time, those who aren't playing are moving and those who are are standing still. When they all move and play it is at a perhaps moderate walking pace.

That is why Bluecoats are beating them, that's why Blue Devils WILL beat them, and that's why Crown might beat them (if they can clean). I LOVE the music this year, but that isn't the problem. It's a complete lack of a visual program that is the problem. With Babylon, the props were so well integrated into the show and used in unique and inventive ways. The drill was great. The color scheme was great. The finale was an explosion. Really? The purpose of those poles with ladders is so people can climb them? Really? That's SO basic. Then again, all props (except) BD are used in basic ways. It's all just so stupid. BD uses theirs in unique and interesting ways. No one else does.

Vanguard has ZERO chance to win this year unless they have major changes coming that will enhance their show. I mostly don't like BD and I'm not the biggest Bluecoats fans, but both of their shows are vastly superior, on the visual front (and so are Crown, Cavies and BAC) to Vanguard's show. It's a big disappointment. The whole show shifts between a moderate pace and a slow pace. They needed fireworks in the closer and they aren't delivering. The closer is my favorite part of the show, but with the pacing of the rest of the show, they really need and up tempo closer that fires on all cylinders. 

Three weeks and the world is upside down.. Going back to the DCI predictions thread, I said that it is the hardest thing in the World to repeat and that seems to be baring out. No DCI champ has repeated other than BD since the Cavies of the Early 2000's

I for one still prefer SCV shows to everyone minus BD, but they are the Champs and will not get a fair shake because they are the Champions and their designed is criticized at a higher level.

Going to revise right before the final bell.

1 BD 2 Bluecoats

------------------------------------ Tier 1

3 Boston 4 SCV 5 Crown

_____________________ Tier 2

6 Cadets 7 Cavies

_____________________ Tier 3

8 Blue Stars 9 Mandarins 10 Blue Knights

___________________ Tier 4

11 Crossman 12 Phantom

__________________Tier 5

Once ATL comes around I think these will be the corps in the same comparable competitive area.

Edited by Glenn426
  • Like 1

Edited by Glenn426

15 hours ago, westcoastblue said:

It seems to me the show is trying too hard to be super intellectual and avant guard. There is not one moment of laid back intrigue or respite.  Last year's show had  six or so immediately identifiable moments. This year there are maybe one or two. In Ankeny, Waymire had them only two tenths above Blue Stars in rep.  

I agree. They are loud and really clean for early July. The percussion, brass, and guard books are difficult and they are achieving them well. But there is nothing to hook me and the theme is not evident anywhere. So, for now it is a great drum corps without communicating much beyond excellence. All that said, excellence at the highest levels and with a complicated show. Complicated shows can make me in awe, but cannot make me feel.  AND, Blue Stars have perhaps their most unique yet approachable show of their modern era. It has all three major components of GE to an extreme: aesthetic, intellectual, emotional. And the show is tough in ways SCV's is not and they are giving it hell. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tigger2 said:

I agree. They are loud and really clean for early July. The percussion, brass, and guard books are difficult and they are achieving them well. But there is nothing to hook me and the theme is not evident anywhere. So, for now it is a great drum corps without communicating much beyond excellence. All that said, excellence at the highest levels and with a complicated show. Complicated shows can make me in awe, but cannot make me feel.  AND, Blue Stars have perhaps their most unique yet approachable show of their modern era. It has all three major components of GE to an extreme: aesthetic, intellectual, emotional. And the show is tough in ways SCV's is not and they are giving it hell. 

So what you're telling me is that they basically the 2015 Cadets without the velocity drill?

• Like 2