Santa Clara Vanguard 2019

The uniforms are terrible. They are completely lost, from a visual perspective, the minute they enter the field. I would love to see what a difference it would make if they performed this show in their traditional red and green. 

"Best SCV Horn line EVER"?!? No. Playing at blastissimo for the entire show doth not a great horn line make, especially when they have the mics as hot as s#$%. For those of you here old enough to remember, think back to when SCV's horn line was known for their warmth and subtlety. 

I get that their drum line is stellar, but too much of the show revolves around them. The whole show lacks the cohesion that they had last year.

2 hours ago, jsd said:

The uniforms are terrible. They are completely lost, from a visual perspective, the minute they enter the field. I would love to see what a difference it would make if they performed this show in their traditional red and green. 

"Best SCV Horn line EVER"?!? No. Playing at blastissimo for the entire show doth not a great horn line make, especially when they have the mics as hot as s#$%. For those of you here old enough to remember, think back to when SCV's horn line was known for their warmth and subtlety. 

I get that their drum line is stellar, but too much of the show revolves around them. The whole show lacks the cohesion that they had last year.

Like I said before, It's more like a percussion WGI show with Hornline staged around them and guard doing their routine. That said, the show is growing on me with every watch.

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

visual apparently already enhanced with tarps added

I saw a single pic from their FB feed and if there was ever a show addition that has "I'll have to wait till I see it live to comment" written all over it, this is it...😶

• Like 1

So Tarps, 

There are plenty of people on the staff who have experience with tarps and I'm sure that they will know the tricks necessary to make them not a safety concern to any of their members.. 

I'd be interested to to see how the forms relate to these tarps.

Being well versed in Tarps and the use of them on a Football field. On initial viewing they can transform the field and add alot of depth to the field that simply did not exist before. We would get feedback from local shows that the glare is distracting, but for these domed shows coming up the glare is reduce and the flat surface will certainly add to the show.

5 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

So Tarps, 

There are plenty of people on the staff who have experience with tarps and I'm sure that they will know the tricks necessary to make them not a safety concern to any of their members.. 

Being well versed in Tarps and the use of them on a Football field. On initial viewing they can transform the field and add alot of depth to the field that simply did not exist before. We would get feedback from local shows that the glare is distracting, but for these domed shows coming up the glare is reduce and the flat surface will certainly add to the show.

I didn't realize that football fields weren't flat already 

...and please tell me that the multi-component Bug SquishTM move at the end is just part of a placeholder?!?!? 

15 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I didn't realize that football fields weren't flat already 

You'd be surprise how many holes and bumps there are on natural grass. especially on HS Football fields in the Fall during a halftime show..  

Like a minefield and awful for trying to lay a tarp on top of. Most of the fields DCI use are in pristine shape, but you cant guarantee a perfectly flat surface on Grass.

Also any DCI Vets, can you remember the name field on tour somewhere in Tennessee that the Field was so curved that you could not see the front sideline from the back hash because there was a hill in the middle of the field?

Edited by Glenn426

19 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

Also any DCI Vets, can you remember the name field on tour somewhere in Tennessee that the Field was so curved that you could not see the front sideline from the back hash because there was a hill in the middle of the field?

Sevierville, Tennessee.

I am just dropping in here to say that I *love* this show and I think they'll pass BD.

The slow, no-synth part near the end of the show is the effect of the summer, IMO. The horns are just going for it, with no electronic support and they are nailing it.

GO GO GO GO!

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

So Tarps, 

At rehearsal last week, they spent a good deal of time adjusting forms slightly to align with the designs on the tarps. Many discussion were had with specific sections about cheating a drill form towards the red/black border or the edge of the tarp, for example.

They also discussed  exaggerating their bicycle step as they moved across the tarp boundaries. There are several moves where the drumline is marching diagonally  backward across the grass-tarp threshold. These are the moments that seemed particularly concerning to me.

27 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

You'd be surprise how many holes and bumps there are on natural grass. especially on HS Football fields in the Fall during a halftime show..  

Like a minefield and awful for trying to lay a tarp on top of. Most of the fields DCI use are in pristine shape, but you cant guarantee a perfectly flat surface on Grass.

Uh

1. Finals and regionals are performed on turf

2. You're not allowed to use tarps on natural grass in competition anyways due to certain regulations so these tarps aren't going to help with those fields.