Santa Clara Vanguard 2019

27 minutes ago, exitmusic said:

Sevierville, Tennessee.

I am just dropping in here to say that I *love* this show and I think they'll pass BD.

The slow, no-synth part near the end of the show is the effect of the summer, IMO. The horns are just going for it, with no electronic support and they are nailing it.

GO GO GO GO!

I thought it was that but google seems to show that they replaced the hill with a turf field. Oh well, I could never forget that show, marching backwards up a hill at 170 while only seeing the drum major and not the pit was an interesting time trying to get through a show.. No Front sideline, No field markers just you and the yard lines to guide you.. 

Edited by Glenn426
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Uh

1. Finals and regionals are performed on turf

2. You're not allowed to use tarps on natural grass in competition anyways due to certain regulations so these tarps aren't going to help with those fields. 

Yeah my point being that,

The Safety concerns being mentioned about the tarps should be non-existent The trick to getting the tarps to lay flat and not bunch up is to use tape on the edges along the entire tarp.

My point in bring up the Natural grass was my experience with using Tarps on Grass and how difficult it was to maintain a flat smooth surface throughout the show, because taping down the tarp would not work on Grass. It wasn't until we got the Domed/ turfed BOA shows that the Tarp would lay absolutely flat during a show and not be an aesthetic or safety issue. 

SCV's marching technique and tempo's in the show will mean that crossing the Tarp-turf boundary marching backwards the chances of a heel being caught on the tarps are greatly reduced compared to a straight leg technique.. 

Edited by Glenn426

18 hours ago, Tommeee said:

Show = good.  Talent = great.  Tarps = horrible.

The tarps seem to me to be a small cry of desperation ala so many years of Bottle Dance. If they were going to pull a late season surprise, I'd rather it be to open in the classic uniform and then change into the PJs. 

4 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

The tarps seem to me to be a small cry of desperation ala so many years of Bottle Dance. If they were going to pull a late season surprise, I'd rather it be to open in the classic uniform and then change into the PJs. 

Well it isn't desperation since their drill was designed to eventually accommodate these tarps. But they definitely are somehow even more distasteful than their atrocious uniforms this year 

So they were part of the plan from the beginning, Cappy? 

1 minute ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

So they were part of the plan from the beginning, Cappy? 

Yes. If you watch the show with and without the tarps you can see that the drill was designed specifically to have the tarps there. I believe I saw this confirmed on Reddit 

• Like 1