Santa Clara Vanguard 2019

20 hours ago, POSITIVenrgy said:

Wow. Really? I completely disagree. I think the tarps are epic....the corps and guard are a great contrast on them, and they really give definition to the drill.  The visual gels so much more effectively with the tarps. I just wish we in California had a chance to see them. 

And, I will be the lone voice and say I love the uniforms. "Atrocious" is a bit hyperbolic. I think they look urban and cool with almost a concrete color. And the members have tons o' swagger with their piercings and shaved hair. They totally out-cool both their competitors. 

I agree with Crappybara here, although I would use the words he/she used. The grey color of the corps proper uniforms was a mistake. The tarps are a mistake. I’ll see if I feel differently when I seen them on Flo tomorrow, but the video I saw from last night the corps disappears when they are on the tarps and most of the tarp is full of a huge glare from the lights. I don’t think the tarps improve this show at all, but we’ll see how the angle at the show tomorrow night is.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I agree with Crappybara here, although I would use the words he/she used. The grey color of the corps proper uniforms was a mistake. The tarps are a mistake. I’ll see if I feel differently when I seen them on Flo tomorrow, but the video I saw from last night the corps disappears when they are on the tarps and most of the tarp is full of a huge glare from the lights. I don’t think the tarps improve this show at all, but we’ll see how the angle at the show tomorrow night is.

Yes, agree with all of the above points. I'm also a big SCV fan along with BD but when I see these uniforms - not at all striking. The yellow against the grey is great but the props, the tarp and grey uniforms against the glare of the lights just look like a mess.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Rich Cline said:

Yes, agree with all of the above points. I'm also a big SCV fan along with BD but when I see these uniforms - not at all striking. The yellow against the grey is great but the props, the tarp and grey uniforms against the glare of the lights just look like a mess.

Thank you for sharing the video. I'm not entitled to Flo due to my proximity. SCV 2019 has a fine example of staging, transitions and texture to provide a 3-D stage quality on a flat field with lines. Vanguard is a word that fits well with this corps. Thanks for exploring yet another dimension SCV.

3 hours ago, just_another_fanatic said:

Footage of SCV's drumline being unbothered by some Crown bro disrupting their lot. Legendary.

https://youtu.be/fKldyOrSf2Q?t=8m55s

How exactly is Crown disrupting their lot. I think there might have been better places to set up than 1 foot from Crown’s equipment truck. Looks like it’s the other way around - SCV disrupting Crown....but I don’t know what was there first - the drum line or the truck.

3 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Truck 

That would have been my guess. They why did SCV chose to line up a foot from their truck? Surely there were better places. 

17 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

That would have been my guess. They why did SCV chose to line up a foot from their truck? Surely there were better places. 

Since I’ve never been in that parking lot, have no idea of it’s size, and where corps are allowed to warm up, I’d say they had no other options.  Possibly CC had previously warmed up in the same spot.  A very minor concern one would think.

18 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Soooooo all your criticisms have been based on videos? :dozingoff: I don't loooove Bloo's show (although there is a lot I really really appreciate about it), but I don't constantly comment on every thread about everything I dislike, because I have only seen videos (well, I wouldn't constantly criticize a show in general...it's not my thing). Even a decent video does not do justice to a show. I saw Vanguard live at Stanford and was blown away. Cavies blew me away, too. I haven't seen a single video or Flocast that has come close to capturing the magic. Seeing a show live is everything. 

If you have seen SCV live and still aren't feeling the visual, then we can just agree to disagree. GO SANTA CLARA! :thumbup:

• Like 1