Santa Clara Vanguard 2019

On July 18, 2019 at 9:32 PM, Cappybara said:

To each their own! As a homer of a different corps, I totally understand when the homer glasses take precedence 

Yup, proud homer. I guess I'm just a kinder gentler homer..... I don't go on other corps threads to point out everything I think they are doing wrong ( well, I did have one criticism about Bloo, early on. Nothing atrocious, though :lle:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, POSITIVenrgy said:

Soooooo all your criticisms have been based on videos? :dozingoff: I don't loooove Bloo's show (although there is a lot I really really appreciate about it), but I don't constantly comment on every thread about everything I dislike, because I have only seen videos (well, I wouldn't constantly criticize a show in general...it's not my thing). Even a decent video does not do justice to a show. I saw Vanguard live at Stanford and was blown away. Cavies blew me away, too. I haven't seen a single video or Flocast that has come close to capturing the magic. Seeing a show live is everything. 

If you have seen SCV live and still aren't feeling the visual, then we can just agree to disagree. GO SANTA CLARA! :thumbup:

As I said above, I will defer final judgement until I see them on Flo. The criticisms I have made a acceptable based on video because I was seeing it from the audience members point of view and half the tarp had glare over it from the stadium lights, and the hornline nearly disappears while on the tarp because there is not enough contrast between their uniforms and the colors on the tarp. I’m judging design elements, not performance quality. Design elements can be judged the same live as on video, performance quality cannot.

I agree seeing a show live is a different and better perspective.

I do not go on every thread and talk about everything I like and dislike. I go on the Vanguard, Crown, Regiment, Madison and sometimes Cadets thread and talk about everything I like and dislike because 1) they are my favorite corps, and 2) it is a discussion board.

Vanguard is my #1. They've been my #1 since I first saw them in 1984. That will never change. Perhaps I am overly critical because of that love, but I do feel that some visual design mistakes were made this year that are going to keep them from defending their title. There's nothing wrong with saying that. I can look past my bias and see what's there (and what's not).

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

As I said above, I will defer final judgement until I see them on Flo. The criticisms I have made a acceptable based on video because I was seeing it from the audience members point of view and half the tarp had glare over it from the stadium lights, and the hornline nearly disappears while on the tarp because there is not enough contrast between their uniforms and the colors on the tarp.

I do not go on every thread and talk about everything I like and dislike. I go on the Vanguard, Crown, Regiment, Madison and sometimes Cadets thread and talk about everything I like and dislike because 1) they are my favorite corps, and 2) it is a discussion board.

Vanguard is my #1. They've been my #1 since I first saw them in 1984. That will never change. Perhaps I am overly critical because of that love, but I do feel that some visual design mistakes were made this year that are going to keep them from defending their title. There's nothing wrong with saying that. I can look past my bias and see what's there (and what's not).

Im with you. It seems they’ve set up the show visually to work 5 times this year in the domes. If the design is going to connect, we should see a bit of a jump in GE and visual tonight. If it’s the same as previous shows score and spread wise, then it’s gets clean and hope for an upset Finals Week!! Tonight’s panel is A team and will tell us if they have a shot with Vox Eversio. 

Musically, I think they can still catch some folks as the hornline is extremely talented and percussion may well 4 peat if they can keep it up. It wouldn’t be enough to win, but could they possibly sneak into 2nd this way? Maybe.. Hoping for the show to come alive in the SA dome and make some competitive headway tonight!!

Edited by trumpetcam

Hypothetical question: should a corps adding some "thing" mid season (tarps, drums, 1800's hats with a giant eagle and a plume stuck to, new props, girl popping out of a book, etc.) really impact a score in a measurable way? I know the Devil's example is different, but if 2 SCV performances were exactly the same, with the exact same judges, except performance 1 had the "old" drums and no tarps and performance 2 had the new drums and the tarps, should the scores be different? How much? Is there anything on the score sheets that would indicate a higher score is warranted?

Yep, tarps are a HUGE mistake. It makes it so hard to see what’s going on - on the tarps with the glare and shadows. Such a bummer. I realize that creating another masterpiece like Babylon and Oroboros is a huge order, but what is the staff thinking with these tarps? Perhaps tarps of a different color and material would have worked, but these don’t. Everything, except the guard uniforms, gets lost in them. 

I still love this show from a musical perspective.....but visual they really really missed the mark this year. 

• Like 5

I'm going back through youtube videos and found this gem. Our local TV station ABC channel 7 caught up with SCV at the end of their training camp and this segment was uploaded by ABC7 News Bay Area. It's great video for everyone who is introducing the activity to newcomers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

As I said above, I will defer final judgement until I see them on Flo. The criticisms I have made a acceptable based on video because I was seeing it from the audience members point of view and half the tarp had glare over it from the stadium lights, and the hornline nearly disappears while on the tarp because there is not enough contrast between their uniforms and the colors on the tarp. I’m judging design elements, not performance quality. Design elements can be judged the same live as on video, performance quality cannot.

As a fan of both BD and SCV, I was so sad after last night's performance. queenanne_1536 was and is correct in her review of SCV. The following points are things that disturb me about the show:

1. While the music is fantastically played, it relies too heavily on the soloists rather than the ensemble. I would have liked to have seen a show with more ensemble playing this year because SCV has a great hornline but, this show is what it is.

2. The corps is too compacted within their props and seems to move to a formation, play move to a formation, play. I would like to see a more open fluid drill similar to last year. Andy Toth describes the show here: SCV Backstage 2019: A Conversation with Andy Toth  

3. Initially the show colors "popped" the grey, subtle pink, bright yellow against a field of green. Now everything is masked by the overbearing pink, black and especially the "glare" off the tarps. Even the guard was more highly visible before the tarps.

IMO the corps from the 1st and 2nd blocks were much more visually interesting to watch. Sorry SCV, this show does not move me.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Yep, tarps are a HUGE mistake. It makes it so hard to see what’s going on - on the tarps with the glare and shadows. Such a bummer. I realize that creating another masterpiece like Babylon and Oroboros is a huge order, but what is the staff thinking with these tarps? Perhaps tarps of a different color and material would have worked, but these don’t. Everything, except the guard uniforms, gets lost in them. 

I still love this show from a musical perspective.....but visual they really really missed the mark this year. 

I wonder if changing the uniforms slightly while keeping the overall style of them would help as much as removing the tarps (at least, considering how heavily integrated they are into the visual design/drillwriting). How about a uniform in the same style as the current ones, but with a color scheme and design that imitates the classic red uniforms? Especially if they went with a color scheme similar to the 2016 uniforms, bright red and white could pop quite nicely on the tarps.

I liked the visual in today's show, sans center tarp, much better. Not sure if they removed it or, if they are trying to do something about the glare.

Anyway:

Go Vanguard!!

On 7/16/2019 at 6:12 AM, Cappybara said:

I didn't realize that football fields weren't flat already 

Nope. They're not. There's a slight slope going from the center of many field for drainage.