Santa Clara Vanguard 2019

A 19.1 for jonz!

• Like 1

All I would like to say is “thank you” Vanguard for such an awesome show. This is the 3rd year in a row that you’ve pushed the boundaries of show design and it is fantastic. Don’t get worried about placement. You’re doing what a corps called “Vanguard” should do.  You have tremendous talent and each section could win their caption any given night.  I love the attitude, the aggression, the staging, all of it. I like the uniforms too. Yes they seem odd at first, till you understand what’s happening and then they make perfect sense. I also like how every corps member has come up with their own style of counterculture hair, piercings, etc. That’s an entire corps - 154 members - that have totally committed to this show. Very impressive. I’m from California. I love all our corps.  But this year I’m particularly proud of Vanguard. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Well done tonight Vanguard! Keep pushing and refining and perfecting this amazing show! You are a breath of fresh air in the top three. Wherever the chips may fall, Vox Eversio is the show that challenges, rather than panders....and pushes boundaries, rather than playing it safe. This summer's top three are incredible, but leave it to Vanguard to bring the sophistication and the edginess! Good luck in the final weeks!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Judges to me have made that loud and clear tonight. Nothing SCV can do to move up, it's a battle between BD and Bloo for gold. The Vanguard organization should be proud of their defense of the title. Took a chance with this design and the kids performed the hell out of it.

I look forward to what they come up with next season.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jeffe77 said:

Judges to me have made that loud and clear tonight. Nothing SCV can do to move up, it's a battle between BD and Bloo for gold. The Vanguard organization should be proud of their defense of the title. Took a chance with this design and the kids performed the hell out of it.

"Nothing SCV can do to move up"...... this just makes me sad. DCP has been pretty tough on Vanguard all summer, but the general consensus last night was that they clearly had the best performance, while the two Blues had issues. Very little seems to have been reflected in the scores. I try not to buy into the slotting theories, but how does even the spread remain pretty much unchanged? 

Does this affect the MMs mentally if there's nothing they can do to move up?

14 hours ago, Jeffe77 said:

You’ve got to be kidding.

In no way, shape, or form, did the 2019 Santa Clara Vanguard take any chances with this year’s program. It’s literally the exact same structure and type of repertoire, with similarly inspired uniforms.

they did the exact opposite of what the champion is supposed to do.

The members are doing am amazing job with a show that is a pale imitation of Babylon with props that don’t work(Why do you climb up to go underground?) and an entire visual design build around tarps that a lower level BOA designer would know wouldn’t work.

I think they thought they could just do the same thing and still win.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

38 minutes ago, POSITIVenrgy said:

"Nothing SCV can do to move up"...... this just makes me sad. DCP has been pretty tough on Vanguard all summer, but the general consensus last night was that they clearly had the best performance, while the two Blues had issues. Very little seems to have been reflected in the scores. I try not to buy into the slotting theories, but how does even the spread remain pretty much unchanged? 

I honestly feel they are fielding the most talented corps this year.

I felt the same way about Bloo 2017 

And Crown 14 had one of the best hornlines of all time.

That being said for whatever reason unless it's BD the design just seems to fall flat on the score sheets the year after a championship.

I didnt see their performance but I find 4th overall in brass hard to believe. That being said though- I felt the top 4 last year were all extremely close in brass. This show should be at least scoring better musically.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, POSITIVenrgy said:

..... I try not to buy into the slotting theories, but how does even the spread remain pretty much unchanged? 

Exactly, I thought last nights performance was their best opportunity to jump, if that didn’t do it, I don’t know what will. That said, this group are champions and will end the season strong.

Edited by Jeffe77
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Jeffe77 said:

Exactly, I thought last nights performance was their best opportunity to jump, if that didn’t do it, I don’t know what will. That said theses are champions and will end strong.

Well, there is a little head to head with Bloo in Akron on Monday. SCV still could make a statement.

• Like 1