Santa Clara Vanguard 2019

4 hours ago, Minimaster said:

You’ve got to be kidding.

In no way, shape, or form, did the 2019 Santa Clara Vanguard take any chances with this year’s program. It’s literally the exact same structure and type of repertoire, with similarly inspired uniforms.

they did the exact opposite of what the champion is supposed to do.

The members are doing am amazing job with a show that is a pale imitation of Babylon with props that don’t work(Why do you climb up to go underground?) and an entire visual design build around tarps that a lower level BOA designer would know wouldn’t work.

I think they thought they could just do the same thing and still win.

I felt they took chances with repertoire and abstract design. Yes they were similarities to last year. Unlike prior years after championship run, SCV had a respectable season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I loved watching the recent official video on the choreography the corps is doing. Seriously detailed! Hope they smoke the run in Akron.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, RickCogley said:

I loved watching the recent official video on the choreography the corps is doing. Seriously detailed! Hope they smoke the run in Akron.

I can guarantee you're not the only one...

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, gak27 said:

I can guarantee you're not the only one...

Yup! This show has really grown on me, I hope they can hold onto 3rd

Just now, billj said:

Isn't that a sad thing to have to say based on the talent level they have? 

In a way yes, but I personally think the visual design team for SCV had it coming. Not sure what they were thinking to be honest. It's unfortunate because I truly believe that this corps is the most talented this year

Just now, Cappybara said:

In a way yes, but I personally think the visual design team for SCV had it coming. Not sure what they were thinking to be honest. It's unfortunate because I truly believe that this corps is the most talented this year

It almost seems like the visual design is bringing down the brass numbers somehow. 4th in brass?

Post-Akron thoughts: holy crap that horn line assaults you. Drum line? Smoking, although based on tonight’s scores it’s gonna be real tight. The corps as a whole is performing the snot out this show, TRYING to draw you in. It’s like a treatise on musical virtuosity and power. It leaves me shaking my head in amazement...but no chills, no goosebumps. It’s not sterile, but it’s not passionate like last year.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s fascinating and really needs to be seen live, but I never felt a true “baby throwing” moment.

The second movement is crazy good.

Screamer soloist tonight didn’t take the note up to his normal finish.

Let’s go, SCV, finish this out strong!

posted from the DrumScorps app

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, gak27 said:

Post-Akron thoughts: holy crap that horn line assaults you. Drum line? Smoking, although based on tonight’s scores it’s gonna be real tight. The corps as a whole is performing the snot out this show, TRYING to draw you in. It’s like a treatise on musical virtuosity and power. It leaves me shaking my head in amazement...but no chills, no goosebumps. It’s not sterile, but it’s not passionate like last year.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s fascinating and really needs to be seen live, but I never felt a true “baby throwing” moment.

The second movement is crazy good.

Screamer soloist tonight didn’t take the note up to his normal finish.

Let’s go, SCV, finish this out strong!

posted from the DrumScorps app

That's one of the most accurate ways yet that I've heard anyone summarize their (and my) feelings on the show. Well stated.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1