Santa Clara Vanguard 2019

40 minutes ago, Rich Cline said:

I'm with NeutralNovice, It's June 7, 8:34 PM.

Just went on SCV's facebook page and not a word yet about their 2019 program. They did post From The Field: 2019, Episode 5 (2 hours) ago but MUM on their 2019 program.

Aaaaaaaagreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed.

I know we'll all be talking nonstop about the inevitably wonderful shows Cavies, Bloo, BK, & SCV put out once the season gets rolling, but as of now, these four corps have by FAR the shortest threads on DCP (vs. their peers). Obviously, that doesn't matter in the slightest, don't get me wrong, but...you know. I feel like the old adage "any press is good press" rings true here. Good talk, bad talk....the true undesirable place to be is not being discussed at all, and these four corps haven't stirred a single bit of off-season interest. Again, I'm very aware we'll all be talking about these corps nonstop once the season gets going and that this doesn't matter at all. But...put in at least some effort to excite the fans before the season starts, for god's sake. Barely being discussed at all is an undesirable place to be when coming up rapidly on the start of the season.

Edited by Jake W.
  • Like 1

Reply to Jake W.

As I posted last week, SCV did this same; NO INFO last year. When the season started, BD and SCV went their separate ways and there was little info from SCV until they competed at larger regional shows. Looks like same thing this year. Both will be at the Clovis show and Sacramento show then it's down south to Rose Bowl. They might hang around a bit since Cavaliers are out here in California. I see Academy is going to be at the Sacramento show. Anyway, SCV is top dog from last year and they'll probably pull every trick they can out of the hat to defend their title.

I'll be seeing my beloved SCV at Stanford on the 22nd (and Cavies!:inlove:). If anything I'm a tiny bit disappointed at not  knowing anything yet. But that's ok..... I can wait. It doesn't diminish my excitement and anticipation one iota! The crowd at Stanford just knew last year that SCV was special, and would go all the way. I can't wait to cheer them as returning champs! 

8 hours ago, Rich Cline said:

Reply to Jake W.

As I posted last week, SCV did this same; NO INFO last year. When the season started, BD and SCV went their separate ways and there was little info from SCV until they competed at larger regional shows. Looks like same thing this year. Both will be at the Clovis show and Sacramento show then it's down south to Rose Bowl. They might hang around a bit since Cavaliers are out here in California. I see Academy is going to be at the Sacramento show. Anyway, SCV is top dog from last year and they'll probably pull every trick they can out of the hat to defend their title.

SCV announced their theme and repertoire in late May last year.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jake W. said:

Barely being discussed at all is an undesirable place to be when coming up rapidly on the start of the season.

I appreciate how you feel, and like you, I can’t wait to see what everyone is up to, but I don’t think the corps you mention are suffering from lack of interest, recruitment, or excitement. I take peace in knowing it’s going to be a great season (and that I have tickets to a couple shows).

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Jake W. said:

Aaaaaaaagreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed.

I know we'll all be talking nonstop about the inevitably wonderful shows Cavies, Bloo, BK, & SCV put out once the season gets rolling, but as of now, these four corps have by FAR the shortest threads on DCP (vs. their peers). Obviously, that doesn't matter in the slightest, don't get me wrong, but...you know. I feel like the old adage "any press is good press" rings true here. Good talk, bad talk....the true undesirable place to be is not being discussed at all, and these four corps haven't stirred a single bit of off-season interest. Again, I'm very aware we'll all be talking about these corps nonstop once the season gets going and that this doesn't matter at all. But...put in at least some effort to excite the fans before the season starts, for god's sake. Barely being discussed at all is an undesirable place to be when coming up rapidly on the start of the season.

Quality over quantity.

If anything, there's more excitement, for me, to see the corps you listed precisely because I've seen and heard very little compared to the others.

Edited by dcsnare93

I know none of the corps mentioned are lacking in excitement & recruitment and that the members in each of the four are undoubtedly pumped about what they're putting on the field this season, and I can't wait to find out. I love all four of these corps. I have no doubt that the members and staff are excited beyond belief about their stellar products. My point is that I don't believe it's a good PR move to fail to drum up any measurable preseason excitement, especially so close to the start of the season. I fail to see where keep things mum until the first competition (or right up until then) is the superior move. And, to be clear again, I know this has no effect on ANYTHING once the season starts, nor should it. We'll all be talking about how much we love the shows from these four groups the same amount as those who released info earlier. I just feel like keeping things under wraps so tightly generates the opposite effect of what's desired; i.e., suspense. Instead, the corps in question are simply not being discussed much. 

• Like 1

I agree. I cannot see any reason to be silent about the concept, uniforms or music a corps expects to play. In any other venue there is an abundance of pre-advertising to generate interest and ticket sales. There was a time long, long ago when a concept of show idea might have been copied but, that is not the case today. Oh well, another week, we'll know all.