Santa Clara Vanguard 2019

"Throughout history, counter-culture movements have come about to express opposition of mainstream ideas and beliefs. From the Beat Generation of the 50’s, to the Hippie Movement of the 60’s, and even the Underground Punk Rock Scene of the 70’s & 80’s. This summer, join the revolution as we set out to make our voices heard in a world where the pressure to conform too often takes priority over the expression and celebration of individuality."

I'm getting none of this from watching the actual show. In fact the opposite in that the similarity to last years winning show in this year's design is the height of conformity.

No punk band would ever say, "Oh you like when I do that, I guess I'll do it again." 

Treating Nothing Else Matters as a jazz standard is something your Dad would do to that Black Album track. 

Also, they are not being Individual or counter-culture by doing similar movement to what the Cavies were doing 10-15 years ago, having a drum break before the closer right out of early 200's Texas HS Band(Very Reagan HS 2002-2003ish, a ballad ending kneel done by BK 21 years ago, a tenor visual done by SCV in 98, and a closer drill strongly reminiscent on cadets 87 and SCV 97.

The only thing that I can see that is counter culture is look we have a Sousaphone, but even that is undercut by the fact that BD has one as well this year.

Even the 80's uniform aesthetic is incredibly popular and in no way counter culture with Stranger Things breaking records.

What am I missing? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gizmit26 said:

Was at rehearsal yesterday. Let me say that some BIG changes are being worked on now that will make waves across the drum corps activity. Vanguard for certain.

Interesting - any hints? Music, visual, props, costume, all of the above?

2 minutes ago, scvphan said:

Interesting - any hints? Music, visual, props, costume, all of the above?

The volunteers travelling with corps said their run through felt like a "completely new show" with all of the little musical and visual changes they've put in the past week. 

The big change I am referencing will bring clarity to some of the complaints I've read about their visual design this year.  The design will all make much more sense.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gizmit26 said:

The volunteers travelling with corps said their run through felt like a "completely new show" with all of the little musical and visual changes they've put in the past week. 

The big change I am referencing will bring clarity to some of the complaints I've read about their visual design this year.  The design will all make much more sense.

Any idea if it seems like it'll be in tonight in Ankeny? Or are we waiting for Memphis (or Texas tour)?

9 minutes ago, kalad's_phantoms_regiment said:

Any idea if it seems like it'll be in tonight in Ankeny? Or are we waiting for Memphis (or Texas tour)?

Based on what I saw yesterday, I wouldn't expect it in Ankeny tonight. The corps still seems to have a bit of work to do before it is revealed.

7 hours ago, Gizmit26 said:

Based on what I saw yesterday, I wouldn't expect it in Ankeny tonight. The corps still seems to have a bit of work to do before it is revealed.

Regardless, thanks for the tip. As someone who the design just hasn't quite clicked with, I'm excited to see the changes!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ftwdrummer said:

So (note: entirely speculative comment, no inside information) full-field tarp?

It is NOT a FULL FIELD tarp.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1