Santa Clara Vanguard 2019

Edit:  Tried to post a SCV FB link. Something strange going on. 

Edited by CrownBariDad

I think it’s a return of the corps original mission for both. Why are kids aging out of feeder corps? Why is there a disconnect between the groups in each?

4 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

I think it’s a return of the corps original mission for both. Why are kids aging out of feeder corps? Why is there a disconnect between the groups in each?

To be honest. Jeff, there are some of us, and this is not bound to just my generation, yours, or the mms: no matter how great the instruction, show design, or practice hours and methods, we'll still have two left feet, triple teeth, weight, and an ungainly fluid motion of body.  I think in the past decade with designers wanting only Twiggy to fill the guard spots and musician roles, we've forgotten that various kids benefit from various levels of drum corps in different ways or corps. Could anyone take away the pride and entertainment witnessed by The Free Players? Or the camaraderie of the only child enjoying having 153 siblings for part of the year?  Or have you bought into the BD A philosophy that the only reason for drum corps is a piece of metal?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I haven’t bought into any philosophy other than I support all corps as witnessed by watching every DCA corps that competed last weekend and every corps that performed in Allentown. I watched most of the prelims broadcast before the theater show and all of semis.

and I think the pursuit of additional medals with the feeders was getting costly and boards realized how far the second corps had drifted from why they were created. With drum corps under scrutiny like never before, this decision was made. 

Makes you wonder with both organizations in concert with this decision, if they are playing the long game in establishing a circuit, either independent or under the DCI umbrella. There's tons of talent in California to sustain it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jeffe77 said:

Makes you wonder with both organizations in concert with this decision, if they are playing the long game in establishing a circuit, either independent or under the DCI umbrella. There's tons of talent in California to sustain it.

Didn't the G7 idea originate out West with that other guy just being a mouthpiece?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jeffe77 said:

ding, ding, ding!!! My money is on this!

21 hours ago, Spatzzz said:

Just a guess here but it starts with M and ends with Y and includes ONE. Plus there is a robust and competitive CA/West Coast Only pseudo OC circuit that is just about as competitive and the OC at Indy.  If they put some effort into building that instead of spending hundreds of thousands to travel nationally we could see MORE corps spring up as opposed to over extending and flaming out after a few years.

Perhaps BDB and SCVC will embark on a local circuit of some type out in Calif... anythings possible.

These things of course are fraught with risks for both Corps. Both Corps have not fared as well when they took time off from going to the DCI Championships upon their return.

In 2000, SCVC finished 1st.... 94.350. Then they did not compete at DCI Championships in 2001. Upon their return in 2002, they finished 4th.

In 2004, SCVC finished 3rd.. 94,725. Then they did not compete at DCI Championships in 2005. Upon their return in 2006 they finished 5th.. 89.925)

In 2009, SCVC finished  2nd.. 94.700. Then they did not compete at DCI Championships in 2010. Upon their return in 2011 they finished 3rd.

In 1997 BDB finished 4th in Div 2.'  Did not compete at DCI championships from '98-2003. Upon their return in 2004 they finished 7th Div.2.

Perhaps both Corps will buck their history trends, and fare as well or better once they return to DCI Championships in the future. What we do know is that Corps that decide to forego national tours have a more difficult time retaining current marchers, and recruiting future marchers when they decide to only compete in local competitions in shows just within their own states.

3 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Perhaps BDB and SCVC will embark on a local circuit of some type out in Calif... anythings possible.

These things of course are fraught with risks for both Corps. Both Corps have not fared as well when they took time off from going to the DCI Championships upon their return.

In 2000, SCVC finished 1st.... 94.350. Then they did not compete at DCI Championships in 2001. Upon their return in 2002, they finished 4th.

In 2004, SCVC finished 3rd.. 94,725. Then they did not compete at DCI Championships in 2005. Upon their return in 2006 they finished 5th.. 89.925)

In 2009, SCVC finished  2nd.. 94.700. Then they did not compete at DCI Championships in 2010. Upon their return in 2011 they finished 3rd.

In 1997 BDB finished 4th in Div 2.'  Did not compete at DCI championships from '98-2003. Upon their return in 2004 they finished 7th Div.2.

Perhaps both Corps will buck their history trends, and fare as well or better once they return to DCI Championships in the future. What we do know is that Corps that decide to forego national tours have a more difficult time retaining current marchers, and recruiting future marchers when they decide to only compete in local competitions in shows just within their own states.

Your assumption here is that success for them is competition at DCI Championships. I think that may be a misplaced assumption.

Edited by Spatzzz

4 hours ago, Spatzzz said:

Your assumption here is that success for them is competition at DCI Championships. I think that may be a misplaced assumption.

Well, it is expensive for Open Class Corps to travel to the Midwest, South, or East for DCI Championships, so its not out of the question that being successful there in placements has been very important to them over the years. Both Corps have put out laudatory press releases that seem to value winning DCI Championships when they do go there... so ya, I make the assumption that success for them is defined by competition at Championships. They did not organize their Corps as an exhibition Corps. Also, most marchers that join Corps do want to march in Corps that want to see how their Corps stacks up with other Corps in their Class in other parts of the Country... not just in their backyard.

• Like 1