Santa Clara Vanguard 2019

52 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Thank you GD, but I gave up three minutes in because of the video tennis match.

The  Serving from left to right was a bit much

Finally saw a good video of this show (Memphis).

Personally- other than the uniforms and the overuse of props- I absolutely love it. I don't think it quite has the visual punch of the corps currently in the 4-6 bracket but musically this is so juicy.

I think it's one of the best, if not the best, hornline they have ever fielded.

3 minutes ago, ThePlanets said:

Finally saw a good video of this show (Memphis).

Personally- other than the uniforms and the overuse of props- I absolutely love it. I don't think it quite has the visual punch of the corps currently in the 4-6 bracket but musically this is so juicy.

I think it's one of the best, if not the best, hornline they have ever fielded.

Definitely one of the best hornlines SCV has fielded. They produce such a full sound it’s amazing.. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Alzam81 said:

Definitely one of the best hornlines SCV has fielded. They produce such a full sound it’s amazing.. 

How much of their sound is enhanced by electronics?  Have never heard a contra line sound like theirs.

Well here's where I'm at midseason: 

The first 3 Minutes lose me. No exciting visuals, no musical phrase to latch onto. From 3 minutes in until the end of the ballad is a religious experience. Especially that 2nd movement good lord I haven't heard anything like it, so so good. The individual and ensemble talent is off the charts. 

The closer loses me. I've heard there are changes to come in that department so Ill wait for that. I just hope they do something with the opener to make it more entertaining because it currently feels like a drag on the show and makes it hard for first time viewers to get into the show at all

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 1

I hope the guard can get a score bump with some cleaning and polishing.

Apparently the visual will be enhanced soon and to me, it can't come soon enough. The unis on the corps proper just don't "pop" in my opinion. Observing the show from high cam, especially viewing an early season time lapse, it seems to me the drill is indeed cool. But it just doesn't look that way from an angle.

46 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Well here's where I'm at midseason: 

The first 3 Minutes lose me. No exciting visuals, no musical phrase to latch onto. From 3 minutes in until the end of the ballad is a religious experience. Especially that 2nd movement good lord I haven't heard anything like it, so so good. The individual and ensemble talent is off the charts. 

The closer loses me. I've heard there are changes to come in that department so Ill wait for that. I just hope they do something with the opener to make it more entertaining because it currently feels like a drag on the show and makes it hard for first time viewers to get into the show at all

I have to agree with this. The last 2/3 of this show are gold medal worthy, but the first third may be their Achilles Heel. It just doesn't grab me, it seems to be missing the GE and artistry of the rest of the show.

visual apparently already enhanced with tarps added