Santa Clara Vanguard 2019

Just now, jjeffeory said:

Nope. They're not. There's a slight slope going from the center of many field for drainage.

I learned something new today

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On July 20, 2019 at 1:24 PM, queenanne_1536 said:

As I said above, I will defer final judgement until I see them on Flo. The criticisms I have made a acceptable based on video because I was seeing it from the audience members point of view and half the tarp had glare over it from the stadium lights, and the hornline nearly disappears while on the tarp because there is not enough contrast between their uniforms and the colors on the tarp. I’m judging design elements, not performance quality. Design elements can be judged the same live as on video, performance quality cannot.

I agree seeing a show live is a different and better perspective.

I do not go on every thread and talk about everything I like and dislike. I go on the Vanguard, Crown, Regiment, Madison and sometimes Cadets thread and talk about everything I like and dislike because 1) they are my favorite corps, and 2) it is a discussion board.

Vanguard is my #1. They've been my #1 since I first saw them in 1984. That will never change. Perhaps I am overly critical because of that love, but I do feel that some visual design mistakes were made this year that are going to keep them from defending their title. There's nothing wrong with saying that. I can look past my bias and see what's there (and what's not).

As I said, agree to disagree. But I stand by my point that judging a show and making definitive design criticisms based on videos, is not quite fair. IMO. And implying that I can't look past my "bias" and still really like this show isn't particularly fair either. I see where the show is lacking in the judges eyes. I happen to love it. I love the aesthetic SCV brings to their show design. That's all. :95_v:

17 hours ago, ashevillemurphy said:

Did they get new tarps.... just saw a clip on Instagram and they seem to be a different color - not as dark as before... looked a little green.

The answer to your question depends on whether these supposed new tarps shine back at you with the fury of a thousand suns

• Haha 5

On 7/24/2019 at 11:31 PM, jjeffeory said:

Nope. They're not. There's a slight slope going from the center of many field for drainage.

For some fields,"slight" is a misnomer.

I'm and engineer who  designs synthetic and natural turf fields.

The slope at Giants Stadium was so severe,if you stood on one goal line,

you couldn't see downfield to the other.

Basically,the Q.B. was throwing "blind".

At one time fields used what was called  a "turtle back " design.

It sloped front to back and side to side.

Today,especially with synthetic turf, we set the center of the 

field about 12" above the sideline.

That gives somewhere around a 1% slope.

I've had fields where that wasn't possible.

But, by increasing a synthetic field's drainage system,it hasn't been a problem.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Cappybara said:

The answer to your question depends on whether these supposed new tarps shine back at you with the fury of a thousand suns

In case the old dinos never saw this. Credit to Kevin Yen who posted this first on redditlike site.

Post image

• Haha 6

59 minutes ago, xandandl said:

In case the old dinos never saw this. Credit to Kevin Yen who posted this first on redditlike site.

Post image

giphy.gif     :27_sunglasses:

I was able to push that out of my mind the first time I saw it by not watching on high cam.  But it's there forever now.

3 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

For some fields,"slight" is a misnomer.

I'm and engineer who  designs synthetic and natural turf fields.

The slope at Giants Stadium was so severe,if you stood on one goal line,

you couldn't see downfield to the other.

Basically,the Q.B. was throwing "blind".

At one time fields used what was called  a "turtle back " design.

It sloped front to back and side to side.

Today,especially with synthetic turf, we set the center of the 

field about 12" above the sideline.

That gives somewhere around a 1% slope.

I've had fields where that wasn't possible.

But, by increasing a synthetic field's drainage system,it hasn't been a problem.

I never marched on this field but I recall being told that Sevierville, TN used to have a major slope to the field. It might be exaggerating but I was told if you stood on the back sideline you couldn't see the front sideline

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1