Scv - a new era?

2 minutes ago, BigW said:

I was drawn in and involved until that moment.

To me... it just jarred me right out of the vibe.

It struck me as something to do for the sake of doing it. Like Limozeen in Space:

"But Why are they in space? There's no reason for them to be in space!" That's how I feel about that whole segment of that program. :huh:

Okay, yeah, but that video is hilarious (to me)! I guess we have different tastes.  :tongue:

The only interesting thing to me is what Crown decides to do visually and if they are forced into large props... everyone else in the top 6  is already there.  SCV and BD obviously have the scoring sheets figured out (and BD for a long time).  So not sure if last night was the start of new era or not because we have already been in it.  

Edited by Wog

Just now, Wog said:

The only interesting thing to me is what Crown decides to do visually and if they are forced into large props... everyone else in the top 6  is already there.  SCV and BD obviously have the scoring sheets figured out (and BD for a long time).  So not sure if last night was the start of new era or not because we have already been it.  

I think the OP was more talking about a New Era for SCV in particular (annual success at the top), not show design.  I could be wrong, though...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ranintothedoor said:

Okay, yeah, but that video is hilarious (to me)! I guess we have different tastes.  :tongue:

I did like the show a lot until that moment. To me, it was like having a great meal and then the waiter coming by and pulling all the glassware off the table and breaking it. The Dello Joio was marvelous... then that? I'm pretty confident they got some flak in terms of top box in effect. :thumbdown:

2 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

In 2014, Crown tried to use a very similar formula as 2013, and it didn't work out so well. I hope SCV doesn't do this in 2019.

And in 17, the Bluecoats used a similar formula that gave them their first title in 16.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

And in 17, the Bluecoats used a similar formula that gave them their first title in 16.

Yep. I think 13-14 Crown were just as similar as 16-17 Bluecoats 

I meant, are we moving into a new era where SCV becomes the dominate force for a number of years, experimenting more with staging and props, leaving other corps forced  to reinvent themselves to keep pace?

i know everyone says BD always wins the season after coming 2nd but will that be the case next year or will they start having to look at how they design their shows to keep pace with SCV?

21 minutes ago, DCI-86 said:

I meant, are we moving into a new era where SCV becomes the dominate force for a number of years, experimenting more with staging and props, leaving other corps forced  to reinvent themselves to keep pace?

i know everyone says BD always wins the season after coming 2nd but will that be the case next year or will they start having to look at how they design their shows to keep pace with SCV?

I think there will be some soul searching. Essentially, BD got beaten at their own game not just by SCV but Boston as well on the CG side of the equation. 2nd place, no captions, and there were nights where their brass was not the strongest. Hmm....

• Like 1