Scv - a new era?

On 8/12/2018 at 7:41 AM, Wog said:

The only interesting thing to me is what Crown decides to do visually and if they are forced into large props... everyone else in the top 6  is already there.  SCV and BD obviously have the scoring sheets figured out (and BD for a long time).  So not sure if last night was the start of new era or not because we have already been in it.  

Crown should get some giant chess pieces and move them all around the field.

Nah, that wouldn't work.

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, DCI-86 said:

I meant, are we moving into a new era where SCV becomes the dominate force for a number of years, experimenting more with staging and props, leaving other corps forced  to reinvent themselves to keep pace?

i know everyone says BD always wins the season after coming 2nd but will that be the case next year or will they start having to look at how they design their shows to keep pace with SCV?

Babylon was not a really innovative design. It was basically a darker version of Metamorph. Non-representational props/stages, vertical levels, front-and-center drill, soloists, etc.

What is really interesting is that Santa Clara's win was a beatdown. Other than BD, no one has one-pointed the field since the 2005 Cadets. That, and not the reinvention of show design, is what could make this a new era, if there is retention among staff and members. I don't see any reason why not.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2018 at 7:16 AM, 2000Cadet said:

While I think their show was fantastic, I hope it is unique to them and no one else. I like a little variety in my life.

I miss SCV's Aussies and feathers, especially their green ones for the age-outs (?).

Yeah, there were times during the show when I thought "Would it have killed them to wear the classic unis and get a little more color out there?"  :)

5 hours ago, TRacer said:

I think there will be some soul searching. Essentially, BD got beaten at their own game not just by SCV but Boston as well on the CG side of the equation. 2nd place, no captions, and there were nights where their brass was not the strongest. Hmm....

And BD was scary close to getting beat by Bloo as well. The BD run on Saturday was much better than Friday. I know they tried to move past the window issue, but there was a soloist issue as well as a tear from a reverb. They were back on their game Saturday though but still only about .4-.5 from Bloo I think, which was uncharacteristic. 

5 hours ago, TRacer said:

I think there will be some soul searching. Essentially, BD got beaten at their own game not just by SCV but Boston as well on the CG side of the equation. 2nd place, no captions, and there were nights where their brass was not the strongest. Hmm....

I've been wondering when and what might spur BDs staff to go somewhere completely new and blow us all away.  I'm wondering now if it'll be next season.  

They fired Pete Weber and just didn’t do any of the large drill expansive that was cool, but was always dirtier than the other top corps.

They did a show that made compact drill in the opener and closer part of the design.

6 hours ago, DCI-86 said:

I meant, are we moving into a new era where SCV becomes the dominate force for a number of years, experimenting more with staging and props, leaving other corps forced  to reinvent themselves to keep pace?

i know everyone says BD always wins the season after coming 2nd but will that be the case next year or will they start having to look at how they design their shows to keep pace with SCV?

One win is not a trend, caption award dominance maybe but this is too early to tell.  

1 hour ago, Box5Opinion said:

One win is not a trend, caption award dominance maybe but this is too early to tell.  

While i definitely agree that people should pump the brakes on this a bit, I think there is a strong case to be made. Assuming that SCV staff retention is high for the near future. This staff knows how to make a winner and they've methodically improved every aspect of the corps over the last decade. The corps was treading water in the late 2000s in terms of competitive placement. While the corps was getting closer after adding the rennicks and shaw (and others but they are the bigger names), it wasn't until last season when Gaines stepped in that they medaled. Even with him coming in late to the process for Ouroboros, you still felt his impact on the show. Just a reminder that once he became the drill designer and visual coordinator for the Cavies, they medaled 12/14 years. Once he left they dropped to 8th. While a corps is definitely far greater than one person, his impact is substantial and immediate. I just don't imagine SCV not putting out shows that are competing for a championship in most years as long as this staff is together. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Cleveland1 said:

While i definitely agree that people should pump the brakes on this a bit, I think there is a strong case to be made. Assuming that SCV staff retention is high for the near future. This staff knows how to make a winner and they've methodically improved every aspect of the corps over the last decade. The corps was treading water in the late 2000s in terms of competitive placement. While the corps was getting closer after adding the rennicks and shaw (and others but they are the bigger names), it wasn't until last season when Gaines stepped in that they medaled. Even with him coming in late to the process for Ouroboros, you still felt his impact on the show. Just a reminder that once he became the drill designer and visual coordinator for the Cavies, they medaled 12/14 years. Once he left they dropped to 8th. While a corps is definitely far greater than one person, his impact is substantial and immediate. I just don't imagine SCV not putting out shows that are competing for a championship in most years as long as this staff is together. 

THIS!!!!  It's not about the win, it's about what they have been building towards over the past few years.  Putting Michael Gaines in place was the final piece of the jigsaw and I believe we are going to see them dominate for the next few years and force others to review how they construct shows.

I am sure SCV will be exploring new ideas and concepts following this year's success.  They know what works: They know how to get the audience on their side and the same with the judges

Caption supremacy tells me we are in for an extended season of SCV wins.   I think they will win so much, BD will have some staff changes.  Other corps picking off BD captions shows increasing parity, something people have been wanting for a good while.  The response was always, "just figure out how to beat BD"  Well they have.  

ABBD will change to ABSCV.