Scv - a new era?

On 8/12/2018 at 7:11 AM, ranintothedoor said:

Hopefully their newfound success won't be a Short Ride on a Fast Machine...

A friend who marched in that corps that year calls the tune "A Long Walk Off A Short Pier."  :tongue:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/12/2018 at 8:23 AM, kdaddy said:

In 2014, Crown tried to use a very similar formula as 2013, and it didn't work out so well. I hope SCV doesn't do this in 2019.

Not uncommon through the years.

I guess the thinking is... if a formula works, why not give it another go?

The DCA corps where I marched... we won two straight DCA titles, then the third year tried to jam that year's music and drill into the same overall formula that had worked for us. The result... that third-year product was, for lack of a better term, stale. A bit tired. And we got smoked by a corps that came out with a fresh new look and better design and concept.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

A friend who marched in that corps that year calls the tune "A Long Walk Off A Short Pier."  :tongue:

Your friend wins.  :-D

• Haha 1

There is still room in dci for multiple aesthetics.  While SCVs design was compact they went end zone to end zone at the end.  Their design would not have been nearly as effective without the raw power and edgy sound they had...that’s a ballsy brass performance.

On the other hand you had Blue Stars who also had a big sound but with huge field coverage too match.  I personally thought it was one of the more aesthetically pleasing programs of the summer.

BD was somewhere in between...huge coverage at the start then they stacked the show “up the middle” for the rest of the show.  Lots of coverage front to back but with limited lateral velocity..thought that worked against them in effect. Understanding that guard was there strong caption and the desire to feature it strongly I feel also played against them in the long run.  Too much over exposure of the guard with a wickedly difficult book combined with the environmental challenges of the brass being staged behind or framing the guard.  Not my cup of tea.

• Like 2

I loved Santa Clara's show this year, but not nearly as much as I loved Ouroboros. The lack of drill and limited field coverage was something that I had not expected from SCV.  Babylon was brilliantly staged, but I hope the fact that it got them a World Championship doesn't cause other corps to follow with programs confined to a small part of the field.  Blue Devils victories over the last decade and a half were done with programs that utilized props that framed the parts of the field where they performed.   But let's not forget that prior to that the Cadets and Cavaliers won with fast paced drills that covered the field to a much greater degree.  Changes in the rules have put body movements and dance on par with drill.  

If winning or moving up the ranks like SCV has done means a performing on an ever diminishing stage then Drum Corps might end looking more like Blast than an actual field show. I hope not.

So my concern echoes some of the comments earlier that design tends to go in trilogies (whether defined as such or not) and what gets close in year one, then wins in year 2, will seem a bit stale in year 3.  I am thinking of most recently the Bluecoats, Tilt, DownSide Up and Jagged Line.  We shall see.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I am 90% sure this is incorrect. Pete Weber stepped down for personal reasons if I am remembering correctly. And I could've sworn this was a temporary thing too

I guess it just looked that way from the outside.

Gaines started to help they bump to 2nd. Weber leaves, they win immediately.

6 hours ago, bluesman said:

I loved Santa Clara's show this year, but not nearly as much as I loved Ouroboros. The lack of drill and limited field coverage was something that I had not expected from SCV.  Babylon was brilliantly staged, but I hope the fact that it got them a World Championship doesn't cause other corps to follow with programs confined to a small part of the field.  Blue Devils victories over the last decade and a half were done with programs that utilized props that framed the parts of the field where they performed.   But let's not forget that prior to that the Cadets and Cavaliers won with fast paced drills that covered the field to a much greater degree.  Changes in the rules have put body movements and dance on par with drill.  

If winning or moving up the ranks like SCV has done means a performing on an ever diminishing stage then Drum Corps might end looking more like Blast than an actual field show. I hope not.

It's been headed that way for some time on the scholastic level. Hard pressure exists with certain teams to "get with that trend".

3 hours ago, Minimaster said:

I guess it just looked that way from the outside.

Gaines started to help they bump to 2nd. Weber leaves, they win immediately.

For what it's worth, I found Weber's visual work to be significantly more entertaining to watch than Gaines'

I'm looking forward to him returning