Scv - a new era?

On 8/14/2018 at 11:01 PM, BigW said:

Yeah... I also referred to it as that in the "ABC's Of Modern Music" program BITD.....:innocent:

Though I do have to say the original piece is a brilliant modern work and when done well, exciting and intoxicating at moments. A lot of good performances of it on YT and spirited debate about the interpretation of it of various conductors. Marin Alsop's version is quite good... Personally, I also like the Swedish Radio Symphony orchestra's version, especially when the Lead Trumpet fist-pumps after nailing the High D at the end...

That's my favorite performance of " A Short Ride in  Fast Machine".  Some people on UTube complain that it's too fast, but it's not called "A Long Ride on a Slow Machine".

On 8/12/2018 at 3:32 AM, DCI-86 said:

Are we moving into a new era where SCV dominates and forces other groups to change the way they design to be competitive with Vanguard (just as BD has done)?

That was also said about Crown after 2013 and BCoats in 2016. Yeah...they have a good shot at maintaining a top level competitive corp but nothing ground breaking this year.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2018 at 1:25 AM, bluesman said:

That's my favorite performance of " A Short Ride in  Fast Machine".  Some people on UTube complain that it's too fast, but it's not called "A Long Ride on a Slow Machine".

True story:  When Cadets were designing the drill for Short Ride in their ABC show, I casually commented aloud in my naivete' that I pictured (at the 3.00 and after in this video version above) the brassline moving backfield in an expanding arc very similar to what Frank Gerris had done with The Muchachos in one version of Concierto de Aranjuez which Hawthorne played for four consecutive seasons (73-76.) The audible waterfall effect seemed to match the movement. The Drill guys thought the image was brilliant but were all over it due to the maintenance problems of increasing intervals, the individual marcher's blind sense of the ensemble, etc. The brass guys played with idea of backfield echoes off the back bleachers, the need for additional backfield conductors, etc., etc. and thought the intonation and timing would suffer immensely. So the percussion guys won out and we got what you see today on the DCI videos of the same. No, I wasn't on the design team, just someone replenishing the sodas, bottled water, and beverages at the table. But the imagery still remains a fantasy which might yet be possible given today's style of show and miking. At least in my fantasy of Short Ride.

Edited by xandandl