The Cadets 2019

Go Scott Go! 

I was thinking earlier... now that the kids have choices to make about next year, how will vet returners and recruitment turn out? No one is under contract now, so will retention stay high?

Also, will this design team return? 

So much to think about, such an exciting time for the organization! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ranintothedoor said:

Go Scott Go! 

I was thinking earlier... now that the kids have choices to make about next year, how will vet returners and recruitment turn out? No one is under contract now, so will retention stay high?

Also, will this design team return? 

So much to think about, such an exciting time for the organization! 

Well I'd say today is the banquet, tonight/tomorrow they drive the caravan back to Allentown...

After that, probably a week's vacation necessary 

And then, since we have actual mentally-stable adults now in charge, they will begin the process of staff evaluations and extend (or not) offers for the 2019 season

No announcements I believe until the beginning of September regarding staff changes or additions

It's important to remember THIS team (& mm) almost snagged sixth on finals night - even with half a show already designed and a redo of major proportions in late April/early May - that's no joke! They did fantastic & should be very proud.

As a fan I personally want to see some retention along with some reinforcement in certain captions/aspects. There was a lot of good about the 2018 Cadets - so some continuity is warranted and smart.

Cadets will want to continue to build up their competitiveness next year - a 4th or 5th place finish (moving up a couple spots) is difficult but within reach...  that would put them in position to get back to challenging for medals in 2020/2021. In today's DCI you have to be LOADED on all captions to win a championship - it will take them a couple seasons to regain that sort of competitiveness, even with careful and smart decisions going forward

So - a few things necessary:

1. improved design (some of this will happen organically now)

2. cleaner visual/musical execution out of the gate (so they don't play catch up again)

3. smaller number of age outs this year - so heavy and successful recruitment to further up the corps talent/experience level

4. continue to refine and improve member experience - first class in all aspects

Best wishes for a successful off season Cadets!

George 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Hrothgar15 said:

Probably a long shot, but I’m wondering if they could get Jay Bocook back as arranger. 

I personally enjoyed Shanefield's work this year. I think Bocook's style matches the Blue Knights better. Bocook's writing for the Cadets was starting to feel stale 

• Like 9
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Well I'd say today is the banquet, tonight/tomorrow they drive the caravan back to Allentown...

After that, probably a week's vacation necessary 

And then, since we have actual mentally-stable adults now in charge, they will begin the process of staff evaluations and extend (or not) offers for the 2019 season

No announcements I believe until the beginning of September regarding staff changes or additions

It's important to remember THIS team (& mm) almost snagged sixth on finals night - even with half a show already designed and a redo of major proportions in late April/early May - that's no joke! They did fantastic & should be very proud.

As a fan I personally want to see some retention along with some reinforcement in certain captions/aspects. There was a lot of good about the 2018 Cadets - so some continuity is warranted and smart.

Cadets will want to continue to build up their competitiveness next year - a 4th or 5th place finish (moving up a couple spots) is difficult but within reach...  that would put them in position to get back to challenging for medals in 2020/2021. In today's DCI you have to be LOADED on all captions to win a championship - it will take them a couple seasons to regain that sort of competitiveness, even with careful and smart decisions going forward

So - a few things necessary:

1. improved design (some of this will happen organically now)

2. cleaner visual/musical execution out of the gate (so they don't play catch up again)

3. smaller number of age outs this year - so heavy and successful recruitment to further up the corps talent/experience level

4. continue to refine and improve member experience - first class in all aspects

Best wishes for a successful off season Cadets!

George 

and CLASSIER Uniforms (errr, costumes or whatever).

26 minutes ago, Hrothgar15 said:

Probably a long shot, but I’m wondering if they could get Jay Bocook back as arranger. 

I would love THAT! However, I don't have too much of a problem with Shanefield's writing either.

9 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I personally enjoyed Shanefield's work this year. I think Bocook's style matches the Blue Knights better. Bocook's writing for the Cadets was starting to feel stale 

If I'm to assume what everyone else has said, a lot of that may have had to do with GH. But I don't know.

I'll tell you what I do want/expect from Cadets 2019:

A more AGGRESSIVE in-your-face show that drives the crowd even more nuts than they did this year.

A guard line that is more competitive than they were this year.

A stronger brassline.

Smart decisions (as they seem to have done very well this year).

I can't WAIT to see what they bring to the table next year.

• Like 3

if anything is evident from certain corps success, and the rousing success of the Cadets ballad this year, I'd love to see them tackle more new and contemporary pieces in a show in the near future. I'm not sure if they're the right corps for it, but I always thought Pyramid Song by Radiohead would be awesome on the field. 

• Like 2

I like Shanefield’s arranging. As others have said, the current team did an amazing job of salvaging the season and presenting a moving show worthy of the corps. Given the conditions, I’ve got nothing but good to say.

However, there is still organizational nonsense going on that can’t be blamed on GH. The right choice of the ED for YEA is paramount if there is to be a professional infrastructure that can support a corps that can contend at the highest levels in a sustainable way. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ZachDrumCorps said:

if anything is evident from certain corps success, and the rousing success of the Cadets ballad this year, I'd love to see them tackle more new and contemporary pieces in a show in the near future. I'm not sure if they're the right corps for it, but I always thought Pyramid Song by Radiohead would be awesome on the field. 

I forgot that. NEW MUSIC.

• Like 1

Job 1 will be for YEA to seriously assess what it can reasonably raise and fund.  Staff needs to be paid on time and they have to travel better.  You can’t attract and retain good instructors without the accommodations the other top corps have.  Design (music, drill, choreography, props, electronics) are winning DCI right now...all these things come down to dollars.  Can YEA provide this for the Cadets AND support a DCA corps and other programs?  Hard questions must be asked within YEA.  Priorities must be set and decisions made.  Personally, I do not think they can fund a top 5 corps AND continue their other offerings with the fundraising apparatus currently in place.

Some achievable needs in the short term:

1.  Program design coordinator.

2.  Improved guard design and staging.

3.  Improved design and teaching of non traditional movement.  Similarly, smarter use of run and gun.  If it’s gonna be hard, it should be great.

4.  New music must be explored.

5.  Stick with a costume vs. a wholesale return to the traditional uni.  Retain nods to the old with use of color and pattern.

As much as our highly competitive friend Tekk may not like to hear it, I think it’ll be a 3-5 year journey for the corps to medal again.  And, that’s WITH good decisions and increased funding.  As awesome as this season was, the administration of the corps and YEA are (understandingly) still getting their feet beneath them.  The most important moves for the Cadets in 2019 will be ones that none of us see and few of us hear about.  This season was a short term miracle ( thank you kids and staff).  Now it’s time for the long term grind towards sustainability and competitive relevance.  It will not bother me much to see the corps in 6th/7th the next couple years, so long as they make the much needed improvements off the field.  FHNSAB

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

And considering that the Director of Development (the first top-notch professional that I can remember in the roll) resigned on Friday shows that the organization still can’t retain talent. Starting $300k in the hole and having no professional development apparatus in place is not a good sign. 

Edited by GlenI
Typo