The Cadets 2019

13 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

and CLASSIER Uniforms (errr, costumes or whatever).

Hmm... I rather liked them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, GlenI said:

I like Shanefield’s arranging. As others have said, the current team did an amazing job of salvaging the season and presenting a moving show worthy of the corps. Given the conditions, I’ve got nothing but good to say.

However, there is still organizational nonsense going on that can’t be blamed on GH. The right choice of the ED for YEA is paramount if there is to be a professional infrastructure that can support a corps that can contend at the highest levels in a sustainable way. 

True. 

However now the Cadets team can focus solely on The Cadets and not all things YEA. 

The success of this year will make the corps a destination again. Some tweaks here and there, maybe an upgrade or two: yeah. The rebuild will continue in good ways. No more how many platitudes everyone throws at the staff, admin and kids of 2018, it’ll never be enough credit 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, dcikon2 said:

I am not aware of the finances within YEA; however, is there a fundraising issues or lack of funds?  Has the move to Allentown hurt the corps ability to raise funds?  Hopefully, there is someone on board who has in-roads with corporations and is able to write grants.  

Burned bridges by the thousands hurt the ability to raise funds

• Like 3

14 hours ago, George Dixon said:

my apologies - you are taking about Chelsey I suppose.

She was only there for several months - guess it wasn't a good fit for her. 

There’s a lot going on her life. Let’s just say whatever she does or doesn’t do, I’ll always wish her the best. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

True. 

However now the Cadets team can focus solely on The Cadets and not all things YEA. 

The success of this year will make the corps a destination again. Some tweaks here and there, maybe an upgrade or two: yeah. The rebuild will continue in good ways. No more how many platitudes everyone throws at the staff, admin and kids of 2018, it’ll never be enough credit 

It's going to be nice to see the "Cadets 2019" thread being more about what the corps is doing in terms of its 2019 product... instead of dozens of pages about various shenanigans and worst-case situations.

NOT saying there aren't issues... financial and otherwise... the organization has to work through. Of course there are, and will be.  I'm just  saying that... hopefully,... it sure seems the worst of the worst is behind them.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, George Dixon said:

1. improved design (some of this will happen organically now)

2. cleaner visual/musical execution out of the gate (so they don't play catch up again)

3. smaller number of age outs this year - so heavy and successful recruitment to further up the corps talent/experience level

4. continue to refine and improve member experience - first class in all aspects

Good points. No. 1 will happen automatically now that the staff can plan a full off-season without interference from people who are not designers. 

No. 2 has everything to do with how demanding the product is, how much of it you teach from day 1 (think of how BD builds their shows and usually starts with a sketch), and the experience of the marchers along with other design issues.  This is the big one.  The Cadets will have to determine what direction they plan to go visually.  It's apparent what Bluecoats, BD, and SCV have done...and Crown. Once they decide they will need a process for off-season and the competitive season.

No. 3 should not be an issue. Good to hear they have smaller number of age outs, but I believe after the hard work they did this summer to refine the 2018 show that they should attract a lot of young talent.  If so, that will be a good sign. 

No. 4 will continue to be a positive. By accounts it sounds like they enjoyed a fantastic summer and had fun while also working hard. Great management and a smart BoD will get you that. 

21 hours ago, One n Done said:

4.  New music must be explored.

I'm not certain what this means.  This year they used music composed in 2018 (Demonic Thesis by John Psathas) and 2008 (Ara Batur by Sigur Rós).  Granted, last year they spent the whole show in 1971, but the year before that half of the show was composed in 2006 and 2014 (Turning and Wine Dark Sea, both by John Mackey).  

Do you mean they need to explore certain specific genres of new music, such as GOT7 or Bieber (BD '15, '16) or Beck and Imogen Heap (BK '17)?   If we look at the source music used this year by the six corps above Cadets (see below), I don't see a lot of music that is necessarily newer than what Cadets have been using, and most of the new pieces are simply Brass Band or film scores, which are not really ground-breaking exploration though they will always present great source music options.  I'd say that only a very few pieces constituted new music, and I'm not sure how effective they were.   Which pieces stood out to you as new and effective this year?  What specific avenue of new music do you think Cadets should explore?

Cavaliers: 1990, 2014 (brass), 1928, 2006 (film), 1988, 2003, 2001, 1939, 2003

Boston:  1995, 2009 (band), 1983, 1937, 2000 (film), 1779

Carolina:  1887, 2014 , 2017 (band), 2013 (band), 1964, 2012, 1995

Bluecoats:  pre-1991, 1976, 1979, 2006, 1939

Blue Devils:  1944, 1939, 1988, 1967, 2016 (film), 2009, a couple pieces that are recent but I can't find dates, 1998

Santa Clara:  2010, 2005 (brass), 2014 (brass), 2014 (film), 2017

(PS - this is the type of discussion I wish we had more often here on DCP;  let's keep music as the central focus of DCI!!!)

Edited by Eleran
  • Like 1