The Cadets 2019

7 minutes ago, Percussion827 said:

Here's some of the concerns though. You're now encroaching upon Thunder Brigade and Sonus (formerly Shenandoah Sound). Granted, I have heard nothing about those organizations in a while, but this gives me partial pause to the matter.

Also, despite the seemingly fantastic idea of the DMV (Westminster's Program is/was run by a Cadet Alum), the place hasn't had the best reputation for building an ensemble, despite the seemingly continuous flow of talent from the schools. I can think of a couple ensembles off the top of my head who started and then folded within 5 years of said start.

I mean, I'd love to see it as well as I could see a camp on a crazy weekend if possible. But I don't know how effective someplace like Baltimore/DC would ultimately end up.

Saw Sonus in one of the July 4 parades in the Baltimore area. They looked and sounded good!!! I think they have found a good home in SoundSport.

You do have a point about the less-than-stellar track record of getting a corps off the ground in the region. But perhaps an established organization like Cadets/YEA can come in and hit the ground running for the most part, unlike a from-scratch startup.

• Like 1

So I was wearing my cadets shirt yesterday to my local beach...yes I love the cadets too...and I'm proud to wear their stuff as well as my umpteen Boston apparel...this girl walks up to me and asks me if I marched Cadets...well I had say no to that but I told her I did march corps...well she was telling me about her marching band experience and championships at MetLife Stadium and said she didn't march corps because she was a woodwind player...well anyway it was a nice conversation...anyway she was saying to me that the Cadets super-marketed themselves at the show over the last 4 years...I said something along the lines of asking was it USBands...and she said yes..well I told her that the parent organization yea.org owns that and she was saying to me...wow...that explains a lot and had no idea...Just got me to thinking...maybe a lot of the younger people don't make the connection between the two organizations...Well anyway that is my cadet and drumcorps story for this week...haha

• Like 7

8 hours ago, GlenI said:

DC/NOVA would be great for so many reasons as others have mentioned. It might make US Bands easier to manage as well. 

Manage... and grow.  USBands has a presence in Virginia, but it's not strong yet.  If they have staff here, they might be able to break into the scene.  There's a new Virginia Marching Band Cooperative circuit that's growing fast that has similar philosophies to USBands, so if they want to grow in this market, there's some serious competition winding up.  

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

Saw Sonus in one of the July 4 parades in the Baltimore area. They looked and sounded good!!! I think they have found a good home in SoundSport.

You do have a point about the less-than-stellar track record of getting a corps off the ground in the region. But perhaps an established organization like Cadets/YEA can come in and hit the ground running for the most part, unlike a from-scratch startup.

My Avatar is still Shenandoah Sound after all these years... I love them and support them whenever I can. Sonus had a fantastic year in SoundSport... two best in shows and a gold rating at Indy! :-D I'm so proud!

In my opinion, the strength of the band programs up in Northern Virginia is actually a deterrent for some kids because their performance level at home is so high that it's hard to take a chance on a fledgling or, worse, struggling ensemble to have a "better" experience (the culture is a tiny bit stuck up... I've seen worse, and I think it's improving, but it's there...).  An established ensemble like Cadets would not struggle as much in the recruitment department as Sound/Sonus did and does, as well as all those other organizations that've folded up there in the past.  

Besides, Sonus prides itself on being a feeder for corps like Surf (4 members of Surf this year marched in Sonus last year, I believe).  No conflict (IMO).  

• Like 1

Not yet mentioned is that Doug Rutherford is a Fairfax County boy when he marched Cadets; I remember when the corps stayed at Braddock H.S.; you could drive the 18 wheelers down those school corridors. Plus Scott Litz... has parents who live in Virginia, just saying... 

7 minutes ago, ranintothedoor said:

My Avatar is still Shenandoah Sound after all these years... I love them and support them whenever I can. Sonus had a fantastic year in SoundSport... two best in shows and a gold rating at Indy! :-D I'm so proud!

In my opinion, the strength of the band programs up in Northern Virginia is actually a deterrent for some kids because their performance level at home is so high that it's hard to take a chance on a fledgling or, worse, struggling ensemble to have a "better" experience (the culture is a tiny bit stuck up... I've seen worse, and I think it's improving, but it's there...).  An established ensemble like Cadets would not struggle as much in the recruitment department as Sound/Sonus did and does, as well as all those other organizations that've folded up there in the past.  

Besides, Sonus prides itself on being a feeder for corps like Surf (4 members of Surf this year marched in Sonus last year, I believe).  No conflict (IMO).  

I hear ya about Sonus... great crew there, and they are getting it done in SoundSport!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Percussion827 said:

Here's some of the concerns though. You're now encroaching upon Thunder Brigade and Sonus (formerly Shenandoah Sound). Granted, I have heard nothing about those organizations in a while, but this gives me partial pause to the matter.

Also, despite the seemingly fantastic idea of the DMV (Westminster's Program is/was run by a Cadet Alum), the place hasn't had the best reputation for building an ensemble, despite the seemingly continuous flow of talent from the schools. I can think of a couple ensembles off the top of my head who started and then folded within 5 years of said start.

I mean, I'd love to see it as well as I could see a camp on a crazy weekend if possible. But I don't know how effective someplace like Baltimore/DC would ultimately end up.

some of those groups didnt have the best leadership, and at that level, you're not really pulling in local kids like a Surf would