The Cadets 2019

2 hours ago, ranintothedoor said:

Manage... and grow.  USBands has a presence in Virginia, but it's not strong yet.  If they have staff here, they might be able to break into the scene.  There's a new Virginia Marching Band Cooperative circuit that's growing fast that has similar philosophies to USBands, so if they want to grow in this market, there's some serious competition winding up.  

several of those bands left TOB a decade ago for USBands

9 hours ago, ranintothedoor said:

My Avatar is still Shenandoah Sound after all these years... I love them and support them whenever I can. Sonus had a fantastic year in SoundSport... two best in shows and a gold rating at Indy! :-D I'm so proud!

In my opinion, the strength of the band programs up in Northern Virginia is actually a deterrent for some kids because their performance level at home is so high that it's hard to take a chance on a fledgling or, worse, struggling ensemble to have a "better" experience (the culture is a tiny bit stuck up... I've seen worse, and I think it's improving, but it's there...).  An established ensemble like Cadets would not struggle as much in the recruitment department as Sound/Sonus did and does, as well as all those other organizations that've folded up there in the past.  

Besides, Sonus prides itself on being a feeder for corps like Surf (4 members of Surf this year marched in Sonus last year, I believe).  No conflict (IMO).  

Yup! Many from NOVA and MD in Cadets in 2018 and for many years 

Edited by George Dixon

14 hours ago, Liahona said:

So I was wearing my cadets shirt yesterday to my local beach...yes I love the cadets too...and I'm proud to wear their stuff as well as my umpteen Boston apparel...this girl walks up to me and asks me if I marched Cadets...well I had say no to that but I told her I did march corps...well she was telling me about her marching band experience and championships at MetLife Stadium and said she didn't march corps because she was a woodwind player...well anyway it was a nice conversation...anyway she was saying to me that the Cadets super-marketed themselves at the show over the last 4 years...I said something along the lines of asking was it USBands...and she said yes..well I told her that the parent organization yea.org owns that and she was saying to me...wow...that explains a lot and had no idea...Just got me to thinking...maybe a lot of the younger people don't make the connection between the two organizations...Well anyway that is my cadet and drumcorps story for this week...haha

This reminds me of a guy who was sitting in front of me at Allentown, about 10 years ago.  He had AT LEAST 5 different t-shirts on.  Each time another corps would take the field, he would peel one of the shirts off, revealing a different corps shirt underneath.  A true fan of ALL corps!

Some people tend to get caught up in everything regarding the COMPETITION aspect of drum corps.  I love it when people support the success of MULTIPLE corps.  Many people have mentioned it, but it's really good to see the increased respect and support for The Cadets now.  My first live show was in 1990, and I don't think I've ever witnessed such broad RESPECT for The Cadets as there was this past summer.

By the way, I bought three Boston t-shirts this past summer.  I probably have 30 Cadets shirts, from as far back as 1992.  But I have another 30 shirts from other corps.  Yes, I have a problem...

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Tommeee said:

This reminds me of a guy who was sitting in front of me at Allentown, about 10 years ago.  He had AT LEAST 5 different t-shirts on.  Each time another corps would take the field, he would peel one of the shirts off, revealing a different corps shirt underneath.  A true fan of ALL corps!

Some people tend to get caught up in everything regarding the COMPETITION aspect of drum corps.  I love it when people support the success of MULTIPLE corps.  Many people have mentioned it, but it's really good to see the increased respect and support for The Cadets now.  My first live show was in 1990, and I don't think I've ever witnessed such broad RESPECT for The Cadets as there was this past summer.

By the way, I bought three Boston t-shirts this past summer.  I probably have 30 Cadets shirts, from as far back as 1992.  But I have another 30 shirts from other corps.  Yes, I have a problem...

Your gracious words in paragraph 2 ring quite true. I too have sat behind that same guy of paragraph 1; he always has his order of appearance down pat.

Paragraph 3 may not be a problem from an admin's perspective. I can think of worse problems. However on the home front, here's some help. . http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php?/topic/169333-post-tour-laundry-day/

41 minutes ago, Tommeee said:

I remember, years ago,when PBS was still doing their broadcast, they showed a guy who put on a shirt for each corps at Finals .

Might have been the same guy.

21 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

I remember, years ago,when PBS was still doing their broadcast, they showed a guy who put on a shirt for each corps at Finals .

Might have been the same guy.

I sat behind him at prelims last year - brings like 40 shirts lol; stood up between each corps to change to the next one (or peel off the next layer I think)

1 hour ago, Tommeee said:

the only problem you have is storage space

is it bad that I have four plastic totes with corps shirts and hats? Well over 200

they go back to the 70s - all XL - I should auction them off or turn them into a quilt or something 

I have around 50 patches from various regionals and worlds and maybe 40 baseball hats and jackets

i have a PROBLEM too :blink: