The Cadets 2019

1 hour ago, cybersnyder said:

I'd pick Annapolis out of those three, but only if you can march on a lacrosse field. That's LAX territory.

trying to pretend they are Suffolk and Nassau Counties on L.I., Syracuse area in NY State, and some place in Michigan sez this former L.I. H.S. lacrosse coach.

3 hours ago, George Dixon said:

is it bad that I have four plastic totes with corps shirts and hats? Well over 200

they go back to the 70s - all XL - I should auction them off or turn them into a quilt or something 

I have around 50 patches from various regionals and worlds and maybe 40 baseball hats and jackets

i have a PROBLEM too :blink:

I have a ton of shirts and memorabilia I've collected over the years as well.  I made a suggestion a long time ago that DCI should build into championship week a swap meet where fans can sell their old drum corps items.  Who wouldn't want to buy an old vintage t-shirt?  Knowing me, I'd probably buy more than what I sell.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

Taylor Yowzwiak marched Cadets at least three seasons in front ensemble for Cadets and hailed from Columbia, MD.                                                                                                                               After teching at Cadets for two seasons, he was hired away by Boston Crusaders where he taught the past season. Excellent fellow and family. After UMass undergrad, he went on to U. Miami for graduate and is teaching now in Orlando, Florida area.

Cadets 2012 drum major Kendra Orcott also hailed from Columbia, MD but came out of the River Hill High School as did Cadets'  '09 horn sgt. Capt. Joseph Lewis, USMC (Jag Corps and Pentagon) after his sterling undergraduate studies at The George Washington University and the University of Minnesota Law School. 

River Hill has provided about a dozen amazing Cadets over the past dozen years. Shall I go on? Crown also had some from that same Ellicott City-Clarkesville-Howard County area. Columbia seems the gem of our recruiting ocean.

RiverHill killed their marching band for several years, looks like it may be returning this year. I just wouldn't move to this area based on cost versus interest.

3 hours ago, cybersnyder said:

I'm in Columbia, MD and don't think there's much of a marching band appreciation in the area to justify moving in the DC metro area. Huge schools with smaller marching bands than tiny schools in PA. Add in the higher costs of the area, I wouldn't move here even though I think it would be cool. Haven't heard of a single person in the area joining a drum corps. Sports is considered a better resumé builder for college applications. (All statements are generalizations, individual outliers excluded.)

yeeeeah... I see the wisdom in this.  I think I was just being selfish in my desire for YEA to move down here.  lol 

2 minutes ago, ranintothedoor said:

yeeeeah... I see the wisdom in this.  I think I was just being selfish in my desire for YEA to move down here.  lol 

Oh, I'd like it too, don't get me wrong. I'd totally tell them, in my best Price Is Right voice, "Come on down!!" But, if I were a paid consultant, I'd probably have to say, "Nah". I'm having a hard time figuring out a better place than where they are now. 

• Like 1

BUY A CADETS BUCKLE! .. and own a piece of our history!

39522064_10213848417658566_7939345079284

Allentown may be the best place it the east right now for them, really hope they stay. If they go it would probably be to a place where they already planted roots, wherever that may be. 

48 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

a place where they already planted roots 

Ugh... I remember one field in Iowa where they did not cut the grass before our rehearsal... those roots were just a-soakin' up our sweat and tears.

Just now, ranintothedoor said:

Ugh... I remember one field in Iowa where they did not cut the grass before our rehearsal... those roots were just a-soakin' up our sweat and tears

Goood thing it wasn't Colorado!!!! You may still be there.

• Like 1