The Cadets 2019

9 hours ago, BRASSO said:

WGI growth will be where the future growth of units, will continue to be, imo. If football loses its lustre with suburban Moms due to medical science showing the long term cognitive impairments that football participation apparently causes, then outdoor football field styled MB/ Drum corps shows will likely ebb, then disappear, giving way perhaps to WGI styled indoor staged competitions. It'll not happen overnight, but certainly seems plausable given what medical science is increasingly finding of late regarding the long term health damage that football participation causes. Ironically, in the deep south, in the early 1900's, schools/ colleges banned football on dozens of campuses there. Reason ? Deemed too dangerous.  A health hazard. Maybe we'll come full circle in time across the country, who knows.

Concussion risk is bad from soccer.

when I mentioned shifting demographics I was referring to the rise in Hispanic population in Nova and elsewhere, often who’s game of preference is soccer and not American football 

as long as WGI is populated by screeching teen audience members and angst driven programming, it isn’t putting DCI out of business 

17 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Isn’t that building part of the next year down and rebuild phase of that area?

It is supposed to be but there are delays due to legal issues and some controversies around the development of downtown. If the development is to move forward YEA is in a strong position to be bought out of their lease (for a significant sum). This would be dependent on finding suitable facilities for the organization moving forward.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

It is supposed to be but there are delays due to legal issues and some controversies around the development of downtown. If the development is to move forward YEA is in a strong position to be bought out of their lease (for a significant sum). This would be dependent on finding suitable facilities for the organization moving forward.

Always been a bit of a fog as to lease costs there since originally the corps was offered the space gratis and then Hopkins built his YEA empire. Since I don't go delving into the budgets and leave that to others, I wonder what the cost of the office space is currently. Allentown mayoral politics and misdeeds have made as much news as other topics discussed on these forums. I wonder if a "buy-out" would bring much in reality. Others know much better than I, but I am not the only curious one.

18 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

The sort of lease given to YEA would normally have a get out clause for the landlord, doubt some windfall is headed yeas direction 

23 hours ago, cybersnyder said:

One more point about Maryland being a poor choice for relocation - I was in Baltimore Ravens Marching Band and they always scrambled to recruit enough players to field a band. (In no way equating them to a drum corps.) They drew from a two hour ride radius and that was for a band that paid members for practice and performances. If recruitment is tough for a gig where you’re paid $10/hour, how hard will it be when you charge $3000?

One of the points not mentioned in the cavalier repositioning of the corps and office outside of Allentown would mean a complete restaffing of YEA since so many have their families and other important parts of their lives in that greater area. Since many of those in YEA offices are alumnae, most of whom worked tirelessly above and beyond this summer to right the past conditions under which they and the corps labored, to disregard them or see them as replaceable cogs would be disrespectful IMHO.

Edited by xandandl

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

The sort of lease given to YEA would normally have a get out clause for the landlord, doubt some windfall is headed yeas direction 

There is a by out clause that is financially very favorable to YEA. It was part of the original agreement so they would not find themselves "homeless" again after making the move. 

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

Always been a bit of a fog as to lease costs there since originally the corps was offered the space gratis and then Hopkins built his YEA empire. Since I don't go delving into the budgets and leave that to others, I wonder what the cost of the office space is currently. Allentown mayoral politics and misdeeds have made as much news as other topics discussed on these forums. I wonder if a "buy-out" would bring much in reality. Others know much better than I, but I am not the only curious one.

And that is the issue... is the space actually now of value for development given the city politics in A-Town. 

@2000Cadet, the 2018 season is in the books.  Can you now please share your suggestions/ideas for 2019?

(Apologies if you've already posted them.)