The Cadets 2019

22 hours ago, Eleran said:

And yet in related news, I've seen at least two Northern Virginia High Schools announce within the last two weeks that they will not be able to field a Varsity Football team this fall, due to low enrollment.   If that is indeed the trend (and between cultural shifts and medical awareness, that may very well be the trend in certain parts of the country), what will it mean for the marching arts in those locations?   I doubt it will mean anything good.

I think it's going to be awesome... back to our parade roots, finding outlets in indoor arenas (WGI), and longer lives for band directors.  :-D   

• Like 2

On 8/18/2018 at 8:21 AM, Cappybara said:

My parents tried to push me out of doing marching band in high school because it felt like a waste of time to them. They learned their lesson when it became one of my biggest assets once college apps came around and I ended up at one of the top public schools in the country (University of Virginia). They're a lot more lenient and encouraging towards my younger sibling now when it comes to artistic interests and hobbies.

Unfortunately this culture is all too prevalent in Northern Virginia. Lots of first generation (legal) immigrants, helicopter parents, snobby rich people, etc etc in the area who'd rather have their kids be a part of the junior varsity tennis team (lol) than do marching band

That culture is beginning to shift. More and more students are taking advantage of fairly local senior corps and parlaying that into tenures in world class. I personally had 6 former students marching in various DCI corps this past summer, in addition to the current high school students who are participating in DCA. I know that my former school is not the only one. Hopefully, that trend will continue to grow

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, horndevil said:

That culture is beginning to shift. More and more students are taking advantage of fairly local senior corps and parlaying that into tenures in world class.

Also, students on the west coast have a very robust Open Class Presence that is fortunately attributed to fully-engaged HS Band Programs - a good model to follow. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, chaddyt said:

@2000Cadet, the 2018 season is in the books.  Can you now please share your suggestions/ideas for 2019?

(Apologies if you've already posted them.)

A show based on the Roman Empire. 

If anyone can do it, The Cadets can. 

That's one. 

A show about  Ancient Egypt.

That's two.

Edited by 2000Cadet

2 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

A show based on the Roman Empire. 

If anyone can do it, The Cadets can. 

That's one. 

I like where your head's at.  Think we're still too close to 2016's Pines of Rome to pull that off.  

What else ya' got?

(Make it nuts.  We need to crack 50 pages by September.)

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, chaddyt said:

What else ya' got?

(Make it nuts.  We need to crack 50 pages by September.)

Paging Drew Shanefield.   Three words ...

Mathis der Maler

Edited by Eleran
  • Like 1

I hear rumors of Undiscovered Copeland.

P.S. Tekk: BK '18 just did an Egyptian show although Crown '17 marched more like Egyptians imho.  Roman Empire would have to be very different from Star of Indiana. But of course, that is already more than twenty-five years ago.  (My sponsoree who aged out this August made me deal with radical reality; the last time I did full tour was three years before he was born; he's now 22. Yikes!)