The Cadets 2019

so - back to Cadets 2019

The fact that BOTH corps (Cadets & Cadets2) IMPROVED (and I personally think quite dramatically) this past season speaks volumes about the inherent strength of this organization

I'm going to make a BOLD prediction RIGHT NOW

Cadets will finish 5th or above in DCI in 2019 - just too much good will and too many good rumors (soon to be news) 

Cadets2 have a great shot at finishing top 3 or winning DCA in 2019

I could see both corps benefiting from everyone's realization that this organization was always MUCH more than a 1 man operation

That individual being expelled has provided a flood of new volunteers and potential staff members

Will be VERY exciting in 2019 - IMO

I'm HYPED!

Upcoming experience weekend & camps - here we grow!

Cadets experience weekend (potential C & C2 members who want to experience a bit of it):

Metlife Stadium November 10th

Camp #1 - Nov. 16-18
Camp #2 - Dec. 7-9
Camp #3 - Jan 4-6
Camp #4 - Jan 25-27

The new era continues!

• Like 1

:colgate:

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

My daughter lives in Greenwich, England. GREAT city to visit.

"Greenwich Mean Time"... is that the time of day when everyone there is angry?  :laughing:

• Haha 1

On 8/12/2018 at 11:25 AM, One n Done said:

3.  Improved design and teaching of non traditional movement.  Similarly, smarter use of run and gun.  If it’s gonna be hard, it should be great.

I thought most of what you recommended was helpful except the one above.  Yes there should be attention to non traditional movement(non-drill), but what made this season's Cadets show so wonderful was that it was a Cadet's' show. At the beginning of the season no one thought that they would catch fire the way they did, but it happened.  And it was the drill that did the trick.  The wild standing ovations they got from Allentown on was not the result of adding non-traditional movement it was because of that killer drill topped off with the best z-pull since 1984. 

This season was mostly devoid of interesting or demanding drill from any corps. I'ts been trending in this direction for some time now.   No corps is doing as much drill as they did  a dozen years ago.  Some suggest that varying body movements are as demanding as drill(they arent).  So why risk the additional exposure that comes with demanding drill when it is no longer given proper credit.   i guess run and gun or as I call it ( "strike a pose, there's nothing to it" then run somewhere close-by and repeat) has been a winning strategy for most of the top corps for the last 10 - 12 year. But it will never be IMO as exciting, interesting, or as memorable as a very well written drill.  

Edited by bluesman
incorrect scores
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

i've read a lot of comments about relocating the corps.  Perhaps they could join their former YEA sister corps the Crossmen down here in Texas. Admittedly i know nothing about Crossmen's financial situation since moving to San Antonio, but there is a considerable talent pool from which to fill the marching ranks. There's another reason for them to move here...... winter rehearsals can be done outside and in shorts no less.    LOL

• Sad 1

On 8/18/2018 at 8:48 PM, BRASSO said:

WGI growth will be where the future growth of units, will continue to be, imo. If football loses its lustre with suburban Moms due to medical science showing the long term cognitive impairments that football participation apparently causes, then outdoor football field styled MB/ Drum corps shows will likely ebb, then disappear, giving way perhaps to WGI styled indoor staged competitions. It'll not happen overnight, but certainly seems plausable given what medical science is increasingly finding of late regarding the long term health damage that football participation causes. Ironically, in the deep south, in the early 1900's, schools/ colleges banned football on dozens of campuses there. Reason ? Deemed too dangerous.  A health hazard. Maybe we'll come full circle in time across the country, who knows.

We've seen decreasing participation in high school football in Texas of all places.  What parent wants their child's life permanently altered by a hit during a high school football practice?  

At some point i think we will have to consider the merger of DCI, BOA and WGI.  I have a silly fantasy in which the new organization is given the Astro-Dome (god knows nobody wants to buy it) then we have it renovated specifically to the needs of the new umbrella organization.  

• Like 1