The Cadets 2019

11 hours ago, FTNK said:

underwhelmed

I think the Cadets did a good job of analyzing their weaknesses from last season and they made changes as needed. Given the extreme situation last season, I feel the current design staff did a really good job and deserves another shot. I'm excited to see what this staff can do with a normal off season and no George Hopkins!

• Like 9

12 hours ago, East9900 said:

So much for Jeff returning as drill designer. I didn't really have many problems with the staff until I saw drill. 

I have been incredibly underwhelmed by the drill writing the last few years. I really hope he steps up his game in a massive way this year.

12 hours ago, FTNK said:

underwhelmed

I was not too excited about the staff announcement as well (except for Adam Sage. I had to Watch Crown 2009 and 2010 to remind me of his writing, and I think this will be a step up from previous years). I was really hoping Jeff would be back. But I guess this drill writer can grow with Cadets. I mean he did a much better job in 2018 so I will support it.

• Like 3

The addition of Darcie and Adam is big.  The latter will likely bring some experienced teachers with him.  Teachers with experiences outside the Cadets.  And just as important, new networks to tap into for talent.  Big picture, both will bring important conversations about concept, show design, prop design and use.  It should be a benefit to Bobby, obviously-but I think too that input from experienced and highly creative designers will positively impact musical design as well.  

For a while, even back to Sacktig’s last few year’s with the Cadets, show concept and visual integration of all three captions have been lacking.  Nebulous concepts, poor prop design, too much brass over here, drums over here, and guard over there.  Hopefully in ‘19 we get a more defined and compelling concept, with a more varied and textured visual package.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

I was not too excited about the staff announcement as well (except for Adam Sage. I had to Watch Crown 2009 and 2010 to remind me of his writing, and I think this will be a step up from previous years). I was really hoping Jeff would be back. But I guess this drill writer can grow with Cadets. I mean he did a much better job in 2018 so I will support it.

Jury still out on the drill writer as that still came across as their weak link...was not a great balance between demand and effectiveness.  I will admit this was partially execution related as there was a lot more payoff in the drill from Allentown on this year.

56 minutes ago, dans said:

I think the Cadets did a good job of analyzing their weaknesses from last season and they made changes as needed. Given the extreme situation last season, I feel the current design staff did a really good job and deserves another shot. I'm excited to see what this staff can do with a normal off season and no George Hopkins!

Agreed.  Still a time of transition for YEA and the Cadets.  Careful and measured change makes sense.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

I would have liked to have seen a new drill writer as well.. My thoughts about the possibility of Jeff returning were mixed. A step up in a way but also a step back

I felt the Cadets needed a fresh design approach long before the changes took place

The past 3 years have been tough for Cadets drill design - particularly 2016 when Daryl (sp?) wrote the drill - that drill was a flat out mess

The past 2 years have been better, but both years were locked down by design decisions made (and compromised imo) by GH - including this recent season with the diagonal row of unnecessary props that restricted and at times dictated the drill design and staging

I also personally saw growth in Bobby's drill from 2017 to 2018 - I'm interested to see if the growth continues along with what Bobby and the rest of this team can accomplish without the interference of GH

i think the props were a huge limitation last year

• Like 3