The Cadets 2019

There was a recent post on reddit (I know, I know) of a member from this past season's experience with the Cadets.  I found it very honest and objective.   After reading it, if I was a parent of a perspective member, I would have no qualms having my child be a Cadet.  Of course there are unexpected events that happen on a summer-long tour, so how this member viewed and thought about it with great maturity impressed the heck out of me.  

On 10/17/2018 at 3:14 PM, Whiskey said:

There was a recent post on reddit (I know, I know) of a member from this past season's experience with the Cadets.  I found it very honest and objective.   After reading it, if I was a parent of a perspective member, I would have no qualms having my child be a Cadet.  Of course there are unexpected events that happen on a summer-long tour, so how this member viewed and thought about it with great maturity impressed the heck out of me.  

I too read the Reddit post and agree with what you say. I know someone who has a child who marched with Cadets and much of what the Reddit poster said sound like her son’s experience, though she felt that staff was great about addressing concerns of parents and marching members which differs a bit from the Reddit post. What I did appreciate was an insider’s view of the season. Those kids took a great deal in stride and the staff gave more than their best. 

Regarding parental qualms, Cadets may well be the strictest corps regarding safety and boundaries. More often than not, when an organization faces what Cadets faced, they tend to be hyper vigilant. I don’t think recruitment will be an issue, and a staff working together months in advance rather than a month in advance is critical. Finances may continue to be a concern and while the challenges may be greater for Cadets, they are not alone in that regard.

On 9/23/2018 at 1:02 PM, xandandl said:

While we await further announcements and anticipations of Cadets 2019, CBS livestream has a special feature online about the Leonard Bernstein museum touring the country. I wonder whether it will stop in Garfield, NJ, Bergen County, N.J., and Allentown, PA. https://www.cbsnews.com/live/  (7:57 and following.)  Enjoy!

once again its been 9 years since they have done West Side Story !?

1 minute ago, onionhead said:

once again its been 9 years since they have done West Side Story !?

It might be difficult to get rights for “West Side Story” since there is a new film in the works. However I have to admit I go back and forth on this as a theme. One minute I say leave the iconic shows alone, but the music and theme are both so powerful, I also say do it again. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tim K said:

It might be difficult to get rights for “West Side Story” since there is a new film in the works. However I have to admit I go back and forth on this as a theme. One minute I say leave the iconic shows alone, but the music and theme are both so powerful, I also say do it again. 

maybe there is a Jose Felisiano version they can get the rights to.

9 minutes ago, onionhead said:

maybe there is a Jose Felisiano version they can get the rights to.

That's not how it works. They have to go through Leonard Bernstein's estate, as does anyone wishing to use WSS or any other music by Bernstein.

On 10/21/2018 at 1:04 PM, Tim K said:

I too read the Reddit post and agree with what you say. I know someone who has a child who marched with Cadets and much of what the Reddit poster said sound like her son’s experience, though she felt that staff was great about addressing concerns of parents and marching members which differs a bit from the Reddit post. What I did appreciate was an insider’s view of the season. Those kids took a great deal in stride and the staff gave more than their best. 

Regarding parental qualms, Cadets may well be the strictest corps regarding safety and boundaries. More often than not, when an organization faces what Cadets faced, they tend to be hyper vigilant. I don’t think recruitment will be an issue, and a staff working together months in advance rather than a month in advance is critical. Finances may continue to be a concern and while the challenges may be greater for Cadets, they are not alone in that regard.

speaking to one director this summer, he said his biggest challenge was parents. lets say a kid texts home and says he is tired, boom he gets an email from the parent saying the kids are exhausted and need rest. Parents get a nugget of info and make it a mountain

6 hours ago, Tim K said:

I say right now avoid bernstein. Why? It was the old guys go to fall back when running out of ideas. They made their mark in the 80s and 90s...even the great shows since 2000 ( not the not so good ones)....by going in new directions.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

I say right now avoid bernstein. Why? It was the old guys go to fall back when running out of ideas. They made their mark in the 80s and 90s...even the great shows since 2000 ( not the not so good ones)....by going in new directions.

Agree with that 1000%. 

• Thanks 1