The Cadets 2019

27 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Under these circumstances, the 50 years of females in the corps might be reason enough to celebrate.

so they were all male until 1968? I thought they had females before that

6 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

so they were all male until 1968? I thought they had females before that

1969 was the first year with females. When the Little Falls Cadets corps folded after the 68 season, the guard went en masse to Garfield. Little Falls is pretty close to Garfield...I did not join until after the 69 season, so I was not there for the first year.

Edited by MikeD
  • Like 2

wow I thought it had been before that. That explains why Arendas is a grouchy old man LOL ( we call him Walter, as in Jeff Dunhams puppet)

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeD said:

Under these circumstances, the 50 years of females in the corps might be reason enough to celebrate.

and not exactly a warm welcome...by many anyway.( i'm sure you can remember even a year later Mike..lol )..alumni thing was also in the works before the drama, at least talked about and some emails sent out

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

and not exactly a warm welcome...by many anyway.( i'm sure you can remember even a year later Mike..lol )..alumni thing was also in the works before the drama, at least talked about and some emails sent out

The 50 year anniversary of females is a nice thing to recognize. I just don't get an "85th anniversary corps" when the organization has many many other priorities to focus energy and attention on. Perhaps it's just  being thought of as a way to more fully engage corps alumni - if it helps with that - then great!

3 hours ago, George Dixon said:

The 50 year anniversary of females is a nice thing to recognize. I just don't get an "85th anniversary corps" when the organization has many many other priorities to focus energy and attention on. Perhaps it's just  being thought of as a way to more fully engage corps alumni - if it helps with that - then great!

right now, anything to continue building positive momentum is a good thing. 

• Like 1

Sometimes we don't have to get why the next person does something ( or a corps ) it is just what it is and their choice.( Which was discussed long before the drama)

Edited by GUARDLING

A lot of alumni have been cranky for years that Hopkins prevented them from ever producing a high-quality alumni corps performance, especially after the great job both Star and SCV did with theirs. So here is an opportunity to now do it, with a milestone that is reasonable (85th). If it had been 83rd, it would be rather ridiculous, but it's a perfect time, with the overall fresh approach the organization has. The alumni will be jazzed and money will come pouring in. I have friends who are already all excited about it and hoping they will be able to participate.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, MikeD said:

1969 was the first year with females. When the Little Falls Cadets corps folded after the 68 season, the guard went en masse to Garfield. Little Falls is pretty close to Garfield...I did not join until after the 69 season, so I was not there for the first year.

My older brothers marched with Little Falls that final season for the corps in '68.

One went to the Manville Crusaders for the 1969 season. The other joined a more nationally-known organization called the Air Force. :tongue:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, George Dixon said:

I'm guessing that's the case here, George.

I'm with you on the whole "anniversary year" thing.  Any year, to me, is basically just a number. Call me cynical. LOL.