The Cadets 2019

In case this wasn't posted elsewhere, RIP Dave Shaw...the Cadets Cadet

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dave Shaw was a great man. 

I think I might have met him maybe once briefly... but as a contributor to some drum corps publications over the years, I certainly felt his influence. And I know when he spoke... especially about anything to do with the Cadets/YEA... people listened.

21 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

1st guard captains ( female )

Yes, I omitted their names as both Dee Kobus and Judy Tomko, to use their maiden names, would certainly want the focus to be on Dave as I know these fine ladies.

Here's what the corps cited when Dave was named to the Cadets' Hall of Fame.  He was also involved with The Troopers, and with many drum corps publications pre & during DCI years.

"Often referred to as the “Statesman for the Cadets” as he helps to spread goodwill and support for the corps, Dave Shaw was selected as a Hall of Fame honoree during the recent six weeks of voting by the Alumni Block. 

Dave joined the Holy Name Cadets in 1950 as a baritone horn player, eventually becoming Sergeant and a valued leader to all Cadets. He marched as a member of the Cadet Corps when the Holy Name Cadets won American Legion Junior National Championships in 1953 and 1957. Soon after Dave aged out, he continued to support the corps on the administrative side and in more recent years his work for the Holy Name alumni group has brought together generations of Cadets. He has also authored several writings, including co-authoring the 75th Anniversary History Book released in 2009. 

“Dave has been the catalyst for the current success of the alumni, helping the current corps with support in many ways.  He is almost single-handedly the driving force behind the alumni resurgence.  He encourages social gatherings among alumni and serves as the liaison with the current corps through e-mail updates, which allows us, as alumni, to participate and to have a real sense of what it means to be a Cadet today.” - Hugh Mahon"

On 12/3/2018 at 1:38 PM, xandandl said:

Yes, I omitted their names as both Dee Kobus and Judy Tomko, to use their maiden names, would certainly want the focus to be on Dave as I know these fine ladies.

Here's what the corps cited when Dave was named to the Cadets' Hall of Fame.  He was also involved with The Troopers, and with many drum corps publications pre & during DCI years.

"Often referred to as the “Statesman for the Cadets” as he helps to spread goodwill and support for the corps, Dave Shaw was selected as a Hall of Fame honoree during the recent six weeks of voting by the Alumni Block. 

Dave joined the Holy Name Cadets in 1950 as a baritone horn player, eventually becoming Sergeant and a valued leader to all Cadets. He marched as a member of the Cadet Corps when the Holy Name Cadets won American Legion Junior National Championships in 1953 and 1957. Soon after Dave aged out, he continued to support the corps on the administrative side and in more recent years his work for the Holy Name alumni group has brought together generations of Cadets. He has also authored several writings, including co-authoring the 75th Anniversary History Book released in 2009. 

“Dave has been the catalyst for the current success of the alumni, helping the current corps with support in many ways.  He is almost single-handedly the driving force behind the alumni resurgence.  He encourages social gatherings among alumni and serves as the liaison with the current corps through e-mail updates, which allows us, as alumni, to participate and to have a real sense of what it means to be a Cadet today.” - Hugh Mahon"

Dave was the tour manager for us when I marched. 

Among other jobs....

Don Angelica, Dave Shaw and Hugh Mahon feeding the corps....1971 or 72.

Dave_Hugh_Don.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/9/2018 at 3:41 PM, Fran Haring said:

My older brothers marched with Little Falls that final season for the corps in '68.

One went to the Manville Crusaders for the 1969 season. The other joined a more nationally-known organization called the Air Force. :tongue:

And did some very high level spying if IIRC.  Wasn't he stationed in Hong Kong IIFC?

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 7:38 PM, George Dixon said:

I'd love to see Cadets go in the symphonic band or brass band direction the next year or two as they work to rebuild the program

Here's a great ballad / followed by a great closer / could suit them well in combination with the right opener/theme

I could see them playing this, especially the ballad (hopefully without the cracks in the low brass though). 

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Bucbari said:

And did some very high level spying if IIRC.  Wasn't he stationed in Hong Kong IIFC?

The Phillipines. He'd be flown into Vietnam from time to time, but thankfully never on the front lines.

He worked in cryptology.... and for years after, a lot of the stuff he worked on, he couldn't talk about.   By now though... most of it has been  declassified.