The Cadets 2019

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

Because they are intentionally working towards that goal this off season. What’s really driven the cadets design backwards lately is the need by the prior director to try and push a design agenda or copy existing trends vs true creativity and appropriate design. Forcing the concept “Ten” is a glaring example of this - then when people don’t “get it” beating it out very much ur heads. Subtly design is usually good design and that was out the window

director video from last weekends camp states that their goal is to become the corps being chased again, vs the other way around:

aka the monkey is off their back 

THIS THIS AND MORE FREAKING THIS!!! Get Cadets to SET the standard again. I am hopeful! 

...and kudos to @George Dixon for backing up his statement with facts...

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 2

On 12/14/2018 at 9:22 AM, George Dixon said:

Wow.  Just wow.

Such an unbelievably strong young lady.

I had the pleasure of sitting next to her last January when, in open combined session with Board Members, Directors, Drum Majors and all DCI staff we were made aware of the member exit surveys that brought much of this to a head.  Afterward while we ate, she and her two other friends regaled the table with stories of abuses that had come to her attention.  "We have to do better", she said, "it's gone on long enough".  I don't think even she had any idea what was about to happen to her corps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Agreed. And yes I was mostly measured in my criticism last season, corps was going thru enough. I hope it goes well from a visual design perspective this season. As you say it will be interesting without GH interference. 

Well, that is hopeful. On your previous reply - yes, I see. TEN could have been awesome (it was in a lot of ways), but they should have not gone into the blacks and the theme was beating over our heads to death. Same with Awakening. I’m hopeful the Cadets will get back to the top - it just doesn’t seem right without them there.

• Like 1

would love Cadets to play this at some point - surprised they haven't already... Williams music is a tough get for copyright though...

I believe they did discuss it at some point in regards to use in a "Saving Private Ryan" type show in the early 2000's

22 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Bobby has been the designer of the Reading Buccaneers, who have basically owned DCA since 2005, and i believe he designed all but maybe one or two of those years. Watch what Bucs you do, and you can see Bobby is not afraid of going boldly where few have gone before. In fact i am amazed annually how clean they end up given the demands placed upon them in a weekend only setting. This year they switched away from traditional uniforms, and got way more into role playing for every member than any DCA corps has been asked to do before...and, they ran away with it. Again.

And he hasn't been saddled with the baggage there he's had to deal with the last 2 years at Cadets

He did the drill for the band I arranged for and taught a few years back. VERY creative guy. 

9 hours ago, MikeD said:

My uniform is on that field someplace! The one I wore from 70-72 was actually new in 1962.  😎   

Since Bounce dryer sheets were first sold in 69, hopefully you had a few pinned (if no pockets) to that wool uniform.

• Haha 1

On 12/14/2018 at 9:22 AM, George Dixon said:

Wow.  Had a good cry at that one.  Maybe she should join the DCI BoD? 🙂 

Go Cadets!

• Like 3