The Cadets 2019

21 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Other than a precise company front nothing screams drum corps like an atom bomb cloud drill formation! I personally loved it but was probably in the minority 

it's grown on me, but I'll take Florida Suite any day

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Hated Cavaliers now two years running, but taste is so subjective. My show preferences sometimes grown on me or change in season. Might like something online and then feel different in person 

drum corps has always been a best live sort of thing for me - but certainly some shows age well and others don’t with repeated listens 

Agree lately Cavies is an acquired taste. This year they played their parts well and although you can say the same about them. Repeating their melody throughout but it did build to a point rather than just a dangling participle.

Shows do age well, for instance 93 Star as being the best show ever. I am not qualified to have an opinion. It was the best on the field that night. However it is the poster boy for aging well. The dvd that year (Jacksonville) did a good job scanning the crowds reaction and there was only one person giving a standing ovation. A friend of mine from Pennsylvania who I run into most years in Indy where we joke about this.

Edited by Bluzes
typo

While waiting for some news, any news..... I don't think I really appreciated just how good Cadets 2018 was given the circumstances. I feel after last year, Cadets really have a better chance to be competitive this season...

...this is primarily an attempt to bump this thread...

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 5

14 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

While waiting for some news, any news..... I don't think I really appreciated just how good Cadets 2018 was given the circumstances. I feel after last year, Cadets really have a better chance to be competitive this season...

Agreed - I also think the quiet off season is a sign of good things to come. The team is going about putting a show together and recruiting/building the best possible membership for next summer - WHILE keeping the "sausage making ugly" off the internet. We aren't hearing "the show will be this" then "the show concept is changing" then "the rep is changing again" blah blah nonsense. It all had us exhausted about THE summer product before ST ever ended. 

Re: 2018 - the corps did very well & particularly stepped up the last 10 days of the season. I saw the corps the afternoon before Allentown at their rehearsal - it was OBVIOUS. They sounded and looked great, it was night and day from earlier last summer and you sensed a pride and excitement in their show missing the past few summers. SMART changes were made - not the stupid additions of prior years. All that bodes well for 2019!

13 hours ago, George Dixon said:

All that bodes well for 2019!

Go, Cadets, It is also refreshing that for those of us on the outside starving for info on the progress over the winter. That we don't have to sit through GH's podcasts. There were times you could feel the tensions that GH created. I rarely got a positive message from his online presence.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2018 at 2:28 PM, Bluzes said:

Shows do age well, for instance 93 Star as being the best show ever. I am not qualified to have an opinion. It was the best on the field that night. However it is the poster boy for aging well. The dvd that year (Jacksonville) did a good job scanning the crowds reaction and there was only one person giving a standing ovation. A friend of mine from Pennsylvania who I run into most years in Indy where we joke about this.

You probably meant to state " Jackson " ( Miss. ) here in '93.... not " Jacksonville "  ( Fla. ).

Also, we can scroll to the end here of Star's Finals Performance in '93 and see that there was more than " only one person giving them a standing ovation"...  just your friend. Cadets were determined to be " the best " that night by the Judges, and won on Finals Night,. But '93 Star has indeed " aged well". Although the urban myth we might hear in some quarters that they were booed in Jackson, or did not get a good applause at the completion of their Finals Night performance is inaccurate and over the years has seemingly taken on a life of its own by '93 Star's Devotees. The high camera angle shown at the completion of their show here shows us the audience reaction on Finals Night to their show. Many, as a matter of fact, are seen here on their feet with a Standing O for their Performance in Jackson. The announcer is even audibly heard here at the end complimenting the performance by '93 Star for their  " a standing ovation " from many in attendance there on Finals Night.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

You probably meant to state " Jackson " ( Miss. ) here in '93.... not " Jacksonville "  ( Fla. ).

Yes, our son was in Dutch Boy that year, stayed in the Cabot Lodge Jackson very hot that year, how spoiled we are with LOS. Now if I lost my dvd for 93 I would have been sad but the 2001 dvd and Moondance. I guess I will need to reorder the disc hope I can still do that, can't just pay for a download?

Has there been any announcement as to whether the Cadets will have a choral section this year? Regardless of the criticism from some, the choral work from both '17 and '18 shows were my favorite parts. 

10 hours ago, Bluzes said:

I guess I will need to reorder the disc hope I can still do that, can't just pay for a download?

And don't forget to apologize to B for your bad about "there was only one person giving a standing ovation."