The Cadets 2019

9 hours ago, chris ncsu said:

Was I the only one who watched their "update for donors" webinar in December?

They (Scott, Drew, Tom, and Darcie) talked a lot about making sure all thoughts and ideas are given a chance during design meetings. They want to foster creativity, not snuff it out because it's "not drum corps" or "not Cadets". They made clear contrasts to how it worked under GH, when shows often were not totally thought out in pre-season, leaving staff to scramble to figure it out and finish it way too late into the spring or summer. For whatever they decide to do, they want to do it "the best" -- if they use props, then make them the best props, and so on. 

They want the show to start big. They feel that they are well ahead of normal years in terms of design and writing/teaching. They are generally going with the approach of making sure the music perfectly molds to what the show is -- it needs to fit like a glove. So expect more of a movie soundtrack approach to the show music. 

They also showed a rather abstract show "trailer". I remember images of strong women (QEII, maybe some Game of Thrones stuff), a huge bridge over a big chasm, some sci-fi type images where stuff sort of shatters in slo-mo then comes back together. Not to be taken literally, but I think they use it as something to look back to during the design process.

Sounds intriguing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

In 2014 I was traveling back to Boston from Atlanta  and had a chance to catch NightBEAT. Everyone around me was young enough to be my son or daughter. The oldest in the section was the band director from the school the kids attended. He was probably about 25. The kids were cheering, everyone got standing ovations, there was excitement. I don’t know if all the kids knew much about drum corps, but they had fun. The next week I was back home and went to a BAC sponsored show. The people around me were in their 70’s at the younger end. The man sitting next to me did not get up at all. The show featured among others Troopers and Madison. Guaranteed ovation from a Greater Boston crowd. He sat. Even his beloved Boston Crusaders did not get an ovation. Between corps he told me he would be missing Allentown because he was having pre-op tests for his upcoming knee surgery. 

I have I only seen Star 93 on video/DVD but it is not my favorite and to me seems overrated, and more than a few have pounced on me for believing this, but I do recognize it is a difficult show with challenging music, so out of respect I know I would have stood and applauded. 

Point: just because someone does not get up does not mean they hate a show. Just because they do do not mean they are in love with it either.

star 93 is literally the Mona Lisa of our idiom - but like that painting, some don't get it - "it's small" is a frequent criticism when people see it in person the first time

star was quiet - and way ahead of it's time... the movement, the well-thought unity/simplicity of the design, all the triangles and the wheat field and the broom sticks - just brilliant

Cadets 93 guard was the difference maker IMO - so much added - the 4 tenths in visual offset the 3 tenths Star gained in brass

-----
Corps       General Effect      Brass        Percussion      Visual      Total
         Brass Perc Vis  Tot   Fld Ens Tot   Fld Ens Tot   Fld Ens Tot   Score
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cadets   14.8 10.0 14.5  39.3  9.6 9.7 19.3  9.5 9.7 19.2  9.7 9.9 19.6  97.4
Star     14.9  9.8 14.4  39.1  9.7 9.9 19.6  9.6 9.8 19.4  9.4 9.8 19.2  97.3
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, George Dixon said:

star 93 is literally the Mona Lisa of our idiom - but like that painting, some don't get it - "it's small" is a frequent criticism when people see it in person the first time

star was quiet - and way ahead of it's time... the movement, the well-thought unity/simplicity of the design, all the triangles and the wheat field and the broom sticks - just brilliant

Cadets 93 guard was the difference maker IMO - so much added - the 4 tenths in visual offset the 3 tenths Star gained in brass

-----
Corps       General Effect      Brass        Percussion      Visual      Total
         Brass Perc Vis  Tot   Fld Ens Tot   Fld Ens Tot   Fld Ens Tot   Score
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cadets   14.8 10.0 14.5  39.3  9.6 9.7 19.3  9.5 9.7 19.2  9.7 9.9 19.6  97.4
Star     14.9  9.8 14.4  39.1  9.7 9.9 19.6  9.6 9.8 19.4  9.4 9.8 19.2  97.3

"LITERALLY" the Mona Lisa? Um, ok. Cadets were 0.3 ahead of Star in drums on Thurs & Friday. On Saturday, Thom Hannum was quoted, "They judged the music tonight!" Aren't they supposed to all week? Anyway, Star deserved their Finals visual numbers. Dirty or uninspired or something. It would suck, going from a 9.9 on Friday to a 9.4 on Saturday and finishing 0.1 behind. But at least it wasn't a pandering, faux-patriotic show again.

32 minutes ago, Tad_MMA said:

"LITERALLY" the Mona Lisa? Um, ok. Cadets were 0.3 ahead of Star in drums on Thurs & Friday. On Saturday, Thom Hannum was quoted, "They judged the music tonight!" Aren't they supposed to all week? Anyway, Star deserved their Finals visual numbers. Dirty or uninspired or something. It would suck, going from a 9.9 on Friday to a 9.4 on Saturday and finishing 0.1 behind. But at least it wasn't a pandering, faux-patriotic show again.

I'm the biggest Cadets honk on the planet and even I thought Star was way ahead of its time and probably should have won. But they didn't. Probably one of the reasons it stands so uniquely a classic. 35 years later and we still discuss its impact on the activity - there's a lot of Star 93 in SCV 2018 - as one example. As far as the captions - it was clear as they jumped around from night to night that the 1993 judging community didn't know what to make of it. The visual scoring on Saturday night was a bit of a running joke - with Regiment suddenly "perfect" meanwhile they had the messiest transitions seen this side of a bad newscast. 

Edited by George Dixon

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

I'm the biggest Cadets honk on the planet and even I thought Star was way ahead of its time and probably should have won. But they didn't. Probably one of the reasons it stands so uniquely a classic. 35 years later and we still discuss its impact on the activity - there's a lot of Star 93 in SCV 2018 - as one example. As far as the captions - it was clear as they jumped around from night to night that the 1993 judging community didn't know what to make of it. The visual scoring on Saturday night was a bit of a running joke - with Regiment suddenly "perfect" meanwhile they had the messiest transitions seen this side of a bad newscast. 

25 years...you do math like an attorney.   :laughing:

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

“I was told there would be no math”.  😂 

' Got that right.

Image result for i was told there would be no math

Edited by BRASSO
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Tad_MMA said:

Cadets snares had some noticeable dirt on finals night