The Cadets 2019

2 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

wow looking through videos I found this REALLY old dude that was marching in 1986 SCV - crazy no one noticed

Maybe the guy didn't have a driver's license.  :laughing:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

When I initially read @njthundrrd's post, I thought it said 120 PEOPLE. 120 brass is a pretty good showing. I hope they're QUALITY brass though. Still, @dans is right. They usually have a hard time with brass, primarily quality brass. 

Talking to Scott Litzenberg last year, Tekk, I think there's more of a positive attitude/ethos of developing talent and finding the right people with the attitude, "Cadets Work Ethic", and desire to grow and be great with great instruction and encouragement rather then just hoping for people that just need a teeny bit of polishing with a clean cloth. I think right now, this will be something that will have dividends down the line- Maybe soon, maybe not as soon as some hope- but I think the eventual payoff will be great at some point in time.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BigW said:

Talking to Scott Litzenberg last year, Tekk, I think there's more of a positive attitude/ethos of developing talent and finding the right people with the attitude, "Cadets Work Ethic", and desire to grow and be great with great instruction and encouragement rather then just hoping for people that just need a teeny bit of polishing with a clean cloth. I think right now, this will be something that will have dividends down the line- Maybe soon, maybe not as soon as some hope- but I think the eventual payoff will be great at some point in time.

Understandable. It was like that when I marched. I can admit, I was not the best horn player or marcher in my first year at Cadets, but I worked hard and it got me rookie of the year. I agree that definitely can pay dividends in the end. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

Understandable. It was like that when I marched. I can admit, I was not the best horn player or marcher in my first year at Cadets, but I worked hard and it got me rookie of the year. I agree that definitely can pay dividends in the end. 

"Cadets Work Ethic" is well known and respected. :thumbup:

On 1/23/2019 at 6:53 PM, George Dixon said:

wow looking through videos I found this REALLY old dude that was marching in 1986 SCV - crazy no one noticed

Ugh George, trying to get back on board with the topic of discussion.... 😔. Of course I’ve heard that he organization lost donors/sponsorships as the result of what happened with GH. Can someone more educated than I tell  this alum what the best case scenario would be for the cadets organization?

20 minutes ago, BrassFan17 said:

Ugh George, trying to get back on board with the topic of discussion.... 😔. Of course I’ve heard that he organization lost donors/sponsorships as the result of what happened with GH. Can someone more educated than I tell  this alum what the best case scenario would be for the cadets organization?

I don't think specifics were ever mentioned. I do know a bunch of bands did go to other circuits, or at least split their time

11 hours ago, BrassFan17 said:

Looking at the YEA main page, there are 11 sponsor logos at the bottom. I don't know how many there were last year, but there are still a bunch. Yamaha, Demoulin, Zildjian, Remo, Vic Firth and others. 

I would guess that the donor area would have taken a hit. The alumni are ramping up to become much more of a presence with GH gone. There is a two-day alumni meeting this weekend in Newark to put a structure in place, actually. 

USBands seems to have taken a hit in numbers this past year, but hopefully that will reverse itself as they move forward. They had a lot of shows, but I don't think there were as many as prior years. Taking a casual look at champs, the attendee counts in various classes appear to be somewhat lower. I know the band i taught for 25 years moved to TOB in 2018, but it was not because of GH. The HS band in my new home town also moved to TOB, and the director told me the GH-fallout was a factor. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MikeD said:

Looking at the YEA main page, there are 11 sponsor logos at the bottom. I don't know how many there were last year, but there are still a bunch. Yamaha, Demoulin, Zildjian, Remo, Vic Firth and others. 

I would guess that the donor area would have taken a hit. The alumni are ramping up to become much more of a presence with GH gone. There is a two-day alumni meeting this weekend in Newark to put a structure in place, actually. 

USBands seems to have taken a hit in numbers this past year, but hopefully that will reverse itself as they move forward. They had a lot of shows, but I don't think there were as many as prior years. Taking a casual look at champs, the attendee counts in various classes appear to be somewhat lower. I know the band i taught for 25 years moved to TOB in 2018, but it was not because of GH. The HS band in my new home town also moved to TOB, and the director told me the GH-fallout was a factor. 

yeah NJ exploded for us last fall, and was growing...we may need to create a third region over there. GH fallout was a factor or some, cost was another.  That we have one set membership fee regardless of how many shows you do, and a very small championships registration fee was mentioned as attractive. Plus we dont charge technology fees. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

yeah NJ exploded for us last fall, and was growing...we may need to create a third region over there. GH fallout was a factor or some, cost was another.  That we have one set membership fee regardless of how many shows you do, and a very small championships registration fee was mentioned as attractive. Plus we dont charge technology fees. 

For the band I taught, the fact that they were done in October was also a factor for the director. I think they were pretty happy with the result.

• Like 1