The Cadets 2019

Not a lot of talk around here this off-season (which is great imo). But now that it’s March and spring training is around the corner, I’m getting a little excited. Made me start thinking what I hope the Cadets do this year. Apart from big picture things like putting out a crowd pleasing show, etc, etc, these are the little things I’m hoping for

1. White/cream pants. Whatever uniform or costume they choose, I want to be able to see their straight leg marching 

2. Another powerful ballad. Was certainly one of my favorite parts last year, hope they can do something even better and emotional.

3. Box rotation into a big hit. When was the last time a show had one of these? Used to be a staple, would love to see it again

4. Awesome warm up. Will we see the return of Rocky Point? Maybe something different. Always thought their 2005 ballad would be a cool warm up in the lot

5. No props. Unless they’re absolutely essential in telling the story or portraying the theme, I’d rather do without. (Unlikely to happen in this era, but that’s how I feel)

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Brass34 said:

Not a lot of talk around here this off-season (which is great imo). But now that it’s March and spring training is around the corner, I’m getting a little excited. Made me start thinking what I hope the Cadets do this year. Apart from big picture things like putting out a crowd pleasing show, etc, etc, these are the little things I’m hoping for

1. White/cream pants. Whatever uniform or costume they choose, I want to be able to see their straight leg marching 

2. Another powerful ballad. Was certainly one of my favorite parts last year, hope they can do something even better and emotional.

3. Box rotation into a big hit. When was the last time a show had one of these? Used to be a staple, would love to see it again

4. Awesome warm up. Will we see the return of Rocky Point? Maybe something different. Always thought their 2005 ballad would be a cool warm up in the lot

5. No props. Unless they’re absolutely essential in telling the story or portraying the theme, I’d rather do without. (Unlikely to happen in this era, but that’s how I feel)

Well - there are props. But as they are already designed and "finalized" it's reassuring to know that they aren't trying to be figured out in June/July like the prior leadership would have done

I would expect another big ballad and uniforms that would fit your bill - based on NOTHING other than my gut reaction to the off season comments I've heard

I would love to see a big opening "box rotation" type move. Some Cadets "drill magic" is certainly warranted after a reportedly stronger off season

JMO but I'd say all captions of Cadets will step up this year. Again, just a gut check type comment. I expect the show to be harder, faster and have more GE/wow moments and a much more cohesive design/flow than last years mashed together GH/post GH compromise

• Like 1

A Cadet show I enjoyed at the time and on audio/video since - that the judges didn't like and the audience sometimes didn't react well too

2006 Cadets following (probably) the greatest Cadets corps ever - the only corps to win all captions AND subcaptions - the 2005 World Champ Cadets

"Through the Looking Glass" was a show that should have "stood alone" instead of being designed (I wonder who's (bad) idea that was) as a "sequel" - would have done much better as a straight up Alice in Wonderland production

Here's part 2: I loved the ballad and the guard staging, the use of the solo vocalist was VERY disliked/questioned at the time

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

JMO but I'd say all captions of Cadets will step up this year. Again, just a gut check type comment. I expect the show to be harder, faster and have more GE/wow moments and a much more cohesive design/flow than last years mashed together GH/post GH compromise

Any voice coaches at the camps?

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

A Cadet show I enjoyed at the time and on audio/video since - that the judges didn't like and the audience sometimes didn't react well too

2006 Cadets following (probably) the greatest Cadets corps ever - the only corps to win all captions AND subcaptions - the 2005 World Champ Cadets

"Through the Looking Glass" was a show that should have "stood alone" instead of being designed (I wonder who's (bad) idea that was) as a "sequel" - would have done much better as a straight up Alice in Wonderland production

Here's part 2: I loved the ballad and the guard staging, the use of the solo vocalist was VERY disliked/questioned at the time

Thanks for throwing some love to 2006. It was really hard to follow 2005, and we suffered from the unfairly harsh criticism -- from fans and staff (mostly Hop). The 2005 corps was probably the most stacked ever. For example, in '05 the tubas were 7/10 vets; in 2006 it was 2/10. To quote Mike Fanning after finals: "70 rookies coming back as vets... that's scary." 2007 speaks for itself and the quality of the corps's, for lack of a better word, "process." 

My impression was that the Part II was largely Marc Sylvester's idea. A lot of things were tried and discussed throughout the winter and season, which later completely disappeared (that good ol' Hop design philosophy). Can't say we were set up for success. The original design was extremely ambitious, and a lot of those elements, especially the "History Repeating" opening, were scrapped by San Antonio. To quote one of our snares, "We unlock this door...because the design staff has run out of ideas. Next stop...fourth place." The explicit message of "History Repeating" was that we were both doing a sequel to The Zone, and re-inventing the drum corps idiom again, like 1983. Maybe that was Hop's idea...always the peak of humility...

That video, and the Part 1 and somewhat truncated "full" video, were taken by my then-girlfriend. When I got home, she told me she had put it on YouTube--"What the heck is YouTube?" LOL!!! The "full" video is shortened because at the time there was a 10 min limit on videos. Catch me in the tuba soli near the sideline halfway through the closer. That ending, where we jumped from 192 to 204 on the "Medea chords" hit, was a hell of a cardio burn. 

TL;DR: I swallowed one of these about two hours ago

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FTNK said:

Thanks for throwing some love to 2006. It was really hard to follow 2005, and we suffered from the unfairly harsh criticism -- from fans and staff (mostly Hop). The 2005 corps was probably the most stacked ever. For example, in '05 the tubas were 7/10 vets; in 2006 it was 2/10. To quote Mike Fanning after finals: "70 rookies coming back as vets... that's scary." 2007 speaks for itself and the quality of the corps's, for lack of a better word, "process." 

My impression was that the Part II was largely Marc Sylvester's idea. A lot of things were tried and discussed throughout the winter and season, which later completely disappeared (that good ol' Hop design philosophy). Can't say we were set up for success. The original design was extremely ambitious, and a lot of those elements, especially the "History Repeating" opening, were scrapped by San Antonio. To quote one of our snares, "We unlock this door...because the design staff has run out of ideas. Next stop...fourth place." The explicit message of "History Repeating" was that we were both doing a sequel to The Zone, and re-inventing the drum corps idiom again, like 1983. Maybe that was Hop's idea...always the peak of humility...

That video, and the Part 1 and somewhat truncated "full" video, were taken by my then-girlfriend. When I got home, she told me she had put it on YouTube--"What the heck is YouTube?" LOL!!! The "full" video is shortened because at the time there was a 10 min limit on videos. Catch me in the tuba soli near the sideline halfway through the closer. That ending, where we jumped from 192 to 204 on the "Medea chords" hit, was a hell of a cardio burn. 

TL;DR: I swallowed one of these about two hours ago

2006 when they dumped the down ending improved by leaps and bounds

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

Cadets brass camp kicking off! (image from Cadets FB page):

52945550_10215683577194680_6443452573323

I didn't even realize they had camp this weekend. Chalk it up to an extremely quiet Cadets thread. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, George Dixon said:

I very much enjoyed the 2006 show. The opening and ballad were fantastic! I did not see the early version of the show but I can imagine it was a better design early (coming from Marc Sylvester) vs what may have taken place during the season when some of the better ideas got tossed. Very talented corps despite having to follow a stacked 2005 Cadets group. This is one show that would have benefited from a more stylized uniform specifically for the show ( a costume) and a more modern use of props (a la Bluecoats 2016).