The Cadets 2019

On 4/12/2019 at 7:07 AM, George Dixon said:

No doubt this is better than that

some middle ground must exist however!

Very true. I would love to see some middle ground in both DCI and DCA in this area. I've gotten less patient in my late 40's and get somewhat annoyed at the secret squirrel stuff to be honest. I do get it to a point but I don't think given licensing that corps are going to poach music from each other. Poaching members may or may not still be a problem but I wouldn't think it's a huge one. So what exactly IS the advantage? We weren't very secretive when I marched in the late 80's but we also didn't have the internet (at least in the way we have it now.)

7 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Very true. I would love to see some middle ground in both DCI and DCA in this area. I've gotten less patient in my late 40's and get somewhat annoyed at the secret squirrel stuff to be honest. I do get it to a point but I don't think given licensing that corps are going to poach music from each other. Poaching members may or may not still be a problem but I wouldn't think it's a huge one. So what exactly IS the advantage? We weren't very secretive when I marched in the late 80's but we also didn't have the internet (at least in the way we have it now.)

In speaking with a corps director a couple of years ago it is twofold:  they don’t want to announce a show they may not end up being able to perform as advertised.  Secondly, they don’t want to hear from armchair designers and others, critiquing the show before it even gets on the field.

and that does happen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

In speaking with a corps director a couple of years ago it is twofold:  they don’t want to announce a show they may not end up being able to perform as advertised.  Secondly, they don’t want to hear from armchair designers and others, critiquing the show before it even gets on the field.

and that does happen.

heck I'm not even saying show announcements - the cone of silence has gotten so ridiculous we don't even know how many tryout, when brass/drum lines set or how much show music learned

just basics - you don't have to announce the rep in December IMO

• Like 2

we do have an update on the website - Oxford PA is home of the first 2 weeks of ST - then off to Ada, OH

not sure if this has been announced yet...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

we do have an update on the website - Oxford PA is home of the first 2 weeks of ST - then off to Ada, OH

not sure if this has been announced yet...

Oxford?  Wow... that is on the way to my fiancee's house in PA. 

Might have to think about a side trip.  LOL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

heck I'm not even saying show announcements - the cone of silence has gotten so ridiculous we don't even know how many tryout, when brass/drum lines set or how much show music learned

just basics - you don't have to announce the rep in December IMO

I agree with you and it is ridiculous to the extent of the silence.  What is amazing about it is even folks who stop in on camps during the winter don’t say anything either. This day in age of gossiping and who can tweet or instagram before the other guy and with so much anonymity, silence prevails.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

I agree with you and it is ridiculous to the extent of the silence.  What is amazing about it is even folks who stop in on camps during the winter don’t say anything either. This day in age of gossiping and who can tweet or instagram before the other guy and with so much anonymity, silence prevails.

That's what gets me, too.  Do those folks sign a waiver or something....LOL

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, LabMaster said:

and that does happen.

makes total sense to me!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LabMaster said:

and that does happen.

Very, very valid points both. The second point unfortunately still happens as folks will speculate on a show and then critique the speculation. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, LabMaster said:

and that does happen.

How does this actually hurt the corps, though?  Honest question.  Seems like both of these points would be more of a minor annoyance than an actual detriment to a corps - for those in the corps that actually come on here, which they all say they don’t (or do they??).

I would think the benefit gained from these points would not outweigh alienating fan bases with the cone of silence.

Again, honest question.

• Like 1