The Cadets 2019

50 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I went to Boston’s camp in February 2018 in Lakewood Ranch.  Out of respect for them, I divulged nothing. 

If I get to a Cadets' camp, I probably will do the same.  Without signing a waiver.  LOL.

Because if I said "Cadets have the best horn line I've ever heard from them... drum line should go undefeated... and the guard would win WGI IW".... then perhaps only a few folks would believe me. :tongue:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

53 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

If I get to a Cadets' camp, I probably will do the same.  Without signing a waiver.  LOL.

Because if I said "Cadets have the best horn line I've ever heard from them... drum line should go undefeated... and the guard would win WGI IW".... then perhaps only a few folks would believe me. :tongue:

I did say they stepped up the demand (they did), the talent level was higher (it was), and that they were going to medal (I was off by one year 😉).  I think they’ll medal this year. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Quad Aces said:

How does this actually hurt the corps, though?  Honest question.  Seems like both of these points would be more of a minor annoyance than an actual detriment to a corps - for those in the corps that actually come on here, which they all say they don’t (or do they??).

I would think the benefit gained from these points would not outweigh alienating fan bases with the cone of silence.

Again, honest question.

Well, since this is a Cadets thread, we can use them as an example here to possibly answer your question you posed for us, imo

In 2011, the Cadets in preseason in April( or May) allowed  free access via computers and cell phones to national Drum Corps fans of their 2011 show in an outdoors standstill performance in street clothes at their practice facility by Brass and Percussion. At least half the 2011 season's show was played in the standstill performance. Afterwards, there was critique here on DCP re. what was heard. Just like any post show discussion in season, there  was both both  positive and negative commentary and assessments of what was heard played by DCP'ers here.

What was the effect of the commentary ( particularly the negative comments ) upon the Corps, staffers, 2011 Cadets marchers ?

Apparently 2 possible answers... 1 ) None whatsoever and/ or 2 ) the few negative comments proved a boost to the Corps Marchers that draw upon negative commentary to make them motivated to demonstrate that these particular fans wrong with their negative assessments with it.

This can be the only 2 conclusions from allowing fans to this pre Memorial Day access to the standstill  practice performance of the 2011 season's show from the Cadets as the Cadets won themselves a DCI Title that season of 2011 with a 98+ score. There was no visible downside to the Cadets allowing their show music to be played to national Drum Corps fans in that pre Memorial Day outdoors standstill performance by the Cadets in 2011.  None. That said,  so there is no misunderstanding, I'm not suggesting that all these DCI Corps need to play their show music for fans prior to Memorial Day. Just that even if they DID decide to do this, there is no evidence that this creates any negative effect on marchers, nor negatively impacts these Corps hopes for that season, if thats what the question becomes, anyway.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Quad Aces said:

How does this actually hurt the corps, though?  Honest question.  Seems like both of these points would be more of a minor annoyance than an actual detriment to a corps - for those in the corps that actually come on here, which they all say they don’t (or do they??).

I would think the benefit gained from these points would not outweigh alienating fan bases with the cone of silence.

Again, honest question.

I guess over time with constant critiquing and it not being positive,  but more of “you should do this or that” or “why do that when you can do this”; you get tired of it. And MM’s do get impacted seeing all the peanut gallery comments. That’s where it hurts a corps.  Since the peanut galleries won’t shut up, not giving out all the info is the position corps now take. 

• Thanks 1

Ultimately, I think anyone who has respect for these corps keeps mum (for the most part) - members included.  I'm surprised people can gather much from going to the some of the camps anyhow!  My own MM won't even tell me the color of the uniforms.  I get to find out with the rest of ya'll!! 😛 

• Like 1

I for one don't mind waiting for all the pieces and parts to come together as their envisioned to, as I actually have faith in this team :smile: I do agree that some camp updates would be nice though.

If I get to a camp in Oxford, I won't divulge any show details.... but from experience there I can tell you a place where you can get some really good pizza, and another spot in town with terrific craft brews. 

I hope that doesn''t stir up anything online. :tongue:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1