The Cadets 2019

2 hours ago, LabMaster said:

I guess over time with constant critiquing and it not being positive,  but more of “you should do this or that” or “why do that when you can do this”; you get tired of it. And MM’s do get impacted seeing all the peanut gallery comments. That’s where it hurts a corps.  Since the peanut galleries won’t shut up, not giving out all the info is the position corps now take. 

Thanks for the response - I appreciate it.  With all due respect, though, I would hope everyone involved in a performance-based activity (both performers and staff) are much more think-skinned and not as fragile as this.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Quad Aces said:

How does this actually hurt the corps, though?  Honest question.  Seems like both of these points would be more of a minor annoyance than an actual detriment to a corps - for those in the corps that actually come on here, which they all say they don’t (or do they??).

I would think the benefit gained from these points would not outweigh alienating fan bases with the cone of silence.

Again, honest question.

well look at the very corps whose thread this is...with the announcements, changes of plans, pretty much everything exposed and hashed and rehashed to death, nothing could ever live up to the hype

2 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

If I get to a camp in Oxford, I won't divulge any show details.... but from experience there I can tell you a place where you can get some really good pizza, and another spot in town with terrific craft brews. 

I hope that doesn''t stir up anything online. :tongue:

the staff may grill you for info

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Quad Aces said:

Thanks for the response - I appreciate it.  With all due respect, though, I would hope everyone involved in a performance-based activity (both performers and staff) are much more think-skinned and not as fragile as this.

I think the marchers for the most part ARE thick skinned and not ' fragile ".. its the Corps Directors and a few of their staffers that might be a little less thick skinned than most of their marchers are, imo.. But its not one Corps here. Just about all of them have developed a group think on this it looks like to me, and they all seem to be doing the same thing on this. I understand the copywrite/ licensing explanation for this total black out of info, as well the need to keep the theme/ show under wraps so they can handle the unveiling of it on their own terms when its ready. But there is nothing at all that prevents these Corps from playing encore songs, or lengthy practice chords, or watch staffers instruct a section's playing, or even the Battery playing.  Things like this. I've noticed of late a few Corps inching their way into divulging at least some of this via ever so brief sound videos from camp. So maybe we'll see a bit more of this, who knows. But total black outs of camps with no videos from these Corps is no way to grow an activity, imo. I think maybe they 're not interested in the growth of the activity. Thats possible.   But If they ARE  interested in the  growth of the activity, secrecy has never been a proven marketing tool to keep fans engaged, while simultaneously attempting to grow a fan base, Not in any other youth activity we can think of anyway. Even the college football intra squad spring football games are open to the public's video taking and disseminations, and TV, coverages and insights as to what is taking place on the recruiting front, personnel changes. etc and what not on full display,. Theres a plethora of off season info to keep fans engaged in just about all other youth activities, youth sports. Their college aged players are mostly 18-22 year old amateurs as well here too. I'd imagine their similarly aged football players are thick skinned too if they might fumble the ball in the preseason game or some such.  Nobody is paranoid like about it, nor    excessively protective of one's  purported frail sensitivities in these other youthful competition endeavors in the off season. I likewise give the marchers in Drum Corps WAY more credit to be able to easily shrug off any criticisms that might come their way in any quarters from anonymous people from a simple preseason video clip release. So I'm frankly not buying that angle from the adults on their adult imposed black out of audio/ video on all these  Corps camps/ practices in the off season.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, BRASSO said:

I think the marchers for the most part ARE thick skinned and not ' fragile ".. its the Corps Directors and a few of their staffers that might be a little less thick skinned than most of their marchers are, imo.. But its not one Corps here. Just about all of them have developed a group think on this it looks like to me, and they all seem to be doing the same thing on this. I understand the copywrite/ licensing explanation for this total black out of info, as well the need to keep the theme/ show under wraps so they can handle the unveiling of it on their own terms when its ready. But there is nothing at all that prevents these Corps from playing encore songs, or lengthy practice chords, or watch staffers instruct a section's playing, or even the Battery playing.  Things like this. I've noticed of late a few Corps inching their way into divulging at least some of this via ever so brief sound videos from camp. So maybe we'll see a bit more of this, who knows. But total black outs of camps with no videos from these Corps is no way to grow an activity, imo. I think maybe they 're not interested in the growth of the activity. Thats possible.   But If they ARE  interested in the  growth of the activity, secrecy has never been a proven marketing tool to keep fans engaged, while simultaneously attempting to grow a fan base, Not in any other youth activity we can think of anyway. Even the college football intra squad spring football games are open to the public's video taking and disseminations, and TV, coverages and insights as to what is taking place on the recruiting front, personnel changes. etc and what not on full display,. Theres a plethora of off season info to keep fans engaged in just about all other youth activities, youth sports. Their college aged players are mostly 18-22 year old amateurs as well here too. I'd imagine their similarly aged football players are thick skinned too if they might fumble the ball in the preseason game or some such.  Nobody is paranoid like about it, nor    excessively protective of one's  purported frail sensitivities in these other youthful competition endeavors in the off season. I likewise give the marchers in Drum Corps WAY more credit to be able to easily shrug off any criticisms that might come their way in any quarters from anonymous people from a simple preseason video clip release. So I'm frankly not buying that angle from the adults on their adult imposed black out of audio/ video on all these  Corps camps/ practices in the off season.

If it makes you happy, there are a plethora of videos up of crown in a certain place that are really great. It may not be the corps in discussion, but it is something.

pm me for the details if you don’t already know what I’m talking about. 

This information is for everyone, I just don’t want to post a link to something not everyone may be interested in, especially in a thread where it doesn’t belong. It’s just brass instruction by Matt Harloff but it’s really cool to watch. 

12 hours ago, DCIat14 said:

Ultimately, I think anyone who has respect for these corps keeps mum (for the most part) - members included.  I'm surprised people can gather much from going to the some of the camps anyhow!  My own MM won't even tell me the color of the uniforms.  I get to find out with the rest of ya'll!! 😛 

except the virtually free publicity of social media/internet that has become available to the corps since the mid-90s is such a benefit the activity could leverage if done right

perhaps drum corps is doomed to always be the thing that sneaks down highways at night - practices in summer-emptied HS fields and performs only at shows which all the good seats sold out to months in advance

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

except the virtually free publicity of social media/internet that has become available to the corps since the mid-90s is such a benefit the activity could leverage if done right

perhaps drum corps is doomed to always be the thing that sneaks down highways at night - practices in summer-emptied HS fields and performs only at shows which all the good seats sold out to months in advance

Well said.... great points. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Quad Aces said:

When someone is critical of another persons passion, skin gets a bit thin.  Even more so if criticism is unceasing.

• Like 1