The Cadets 2019

3 hours ago, MadisonBandMan1 said:

This information is for everyone, I just don’t want to post a link to something not everyone may be interested in, especially in a thread where it doesn’t belong. It’s just brass instruction by Matt Harloff but it’s really cool to watch. 

I've seen a lengthy video of Matt Harloff talking to us on a drive in his car to an early CC camp. Then he arrives at  CC's camp where he's a brass staffer there, and he talks there to his brass line campers. Its cool and all to hear him talk at length on the video. Its interesting, insightful, and informative, imo. But there is little to no brass playing on it from any of the youthful CC 's brass line marchers. There is just mostly him on that lengthy video...... talking..... to us fans, and to his  2019 CC brass line. Why not include the youth in that video ? Playing some encore songs ? Or practicing parts of songs in sections, and MH instructing that playing ? Or playing chromatic scales or other brass line playing fundamentals ?  The youth in that Harloff video are seen listening to him talk.... with no brass playing in it. Where is the Percussion line battery of CC ? The  adult staff and Mgt at CC believes that CC's Percussion line playing needs to be secretly protected in the off season until move in camps the end of May ? From what exactly ? ('not picking on CC here,  as most all the Corps are like this now in the off season. )

Edited by BRASSO

HIGHLY SUCCESSFUL WINE AND FOOD TASTING YESTERDAY!

The committee made up of alumni and friends exceeded budget and brought in more people than ever before in our 25+ year history of doing this event. High praise to them for making this happen!

Fun day. Also lots of non-drum corps people that came for fun and great wines that just wanted to support a great cause... Youth Education in the Arts.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, njthundrrd said:

HIGHLY SUCCESSFUL WINE AND FOOD TASTING YESTERDAY!

The committee made up of alumni and friends exceeded budget and brought in more people than ever before in our 25+ year history of doing this event. High praise to them for making this happen!

Fun day. Also lots of non-drum corps people that came for fun and great wines that just wanted to support a great cause... Youth Education in the Arts.

Congrats!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

I've seen a lengthy video of Matt Harloff talking to us on a drive in his car to an early CC camp. Then he arrives at  CC's camp where he's a brass staffer there, and he talks there to his brass line campers. Its cool and all to hear him talk at length on the video. Its interesting, insightful, and informative, imo. But there is little to no brass playing on it from any of the youthful CC 's brass line marchers. There is just mostly him on that lengthy video...... talking..... to us fans, and to his  2019 CC brass line. Why not include the youth in that video ? Playing some encore songs ? Or practicing parts of songs in sections, and MH instructing that playing ? Or playing chromatic scales or other brass line playing fundamentals ?  The youth in that Harloff video are seen listening to him talk.... with no brass playing in it. Where is the Percussion line battery of CC ? The  adult staff and Mgt at CC believes that CC's Percussion line playing needs to be secretly protected in the off season until move in camps the end of May ? From what exactly ? ('not picking on CC here,  as most all the Corps are like this now in the off season. )

in a lot of camp videos, these days you rarely hear show material because of licensing concerns

43 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

in a lot of camp videos, these days you rarely hear show material because of licensing concerns

Yes.  I clearly acknowledged this above in my comments above on this thread too. I'd imagine most  DCP posters understood where I was not asking for such " show material " audio/ videos from Corps camps either in my remarks above. Thus, the concern over music " licensing "  ( a legit one in DC, imo )is really not germaine here to any of my remarks above.

Edited by BRASSO

2 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Playing some encore songs ? Or practicing parts of songs in sections, and MH instructing that playing ? 

27 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Thus, the concern over music " licensing "  ( a legit one in DC, imo )is really not germaine here to any of my remarks above.

Actually, it is germane to your remarks above.  Just because a song is played as an encore and not in the field show itself does not exempt the corps from satisfying copyright requirements before they can arrange and publish a performance on social media (granted, some encore pieces are public domain, but that's probably the exception more than the rule).    Fact of the matter is that I wonder whether corps actually do pay the licensing fees for encore tunes as they should be, since they probably presume it will go overlooked.

Edit:  Even some of the common warm-ups and exercises are copyrighted materials by musical pedagogues, and it's always questionable whether all the requirements for use have been satisfied.  So, you bought one copy of that book of great exercises by So-and-So, then copied and pasted it into the corps' technique handbook then distributed to 150 members, without ever paying So-and-So for an additional 150 copies?  Yeah, let's avoid broadcasting that online, shall we?

Edited by Eleran
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Yes.  I clearly acknowledged this above in my comments above on this thread too. I'd imagine most  DCP posters understood where I was not asking for such " show material " audio/ videos from Corps camps either in my remarks above. Thus, the concern over music " licensing "  ( a legit one in DC, imo )is really not germaine here to any of my remarks above.

From another thread, but an appropriate response: 

On 4/4/2019 at 12:55 AM, Jeff Ream said:

and per the example i listed previously, it creates either overwhelming hype that can't be lived up to or overwhelming derision for the choices announced

On 4/4/2019 at 5:59 AM, Barneveld said:

In my opinion, this is the same reason why corps rarely (if at all) post off season audio/visual content, even if it's not show material.

On 4/4/2019 at 12:32 PM, Jeff Ream said:

exactly. the proof is out there...you can suffocate under unrealistic expectations. Cadets many years, Phantom last year...hell Madison with the Kenton show

Anyway, back on topic - congrats to YEA for what sounds like a very successful fundraiser!

On 4/15/2019 at 1:40 PM, BRASSO said:

actually others keep bringing it up. ergo, i mentioned it again

Edited by Jeff Ream

2 hours ago, Eleran said:

Actually, it is germane to your remarks above.  Just because a song is played as an encore and not in the field show itself does not exempt the corps from satisfying copyright requirements before they can arrange and publish a performance on social media (granted, some encore pieces are public domain, but that's probably the exception more than the rule).    Fact of the matter is that I wonder whether corps actually do pay the licensing fees for encore tunes as they should be, since they probably presume it will go overlooked.

Edit:  Even some of the common warm-ups and exercises are copyrighted materials by musical pedagogues, and it's always questionable whether all the requirements for use have been satisfied.  So, you bought one copy of that book of great exercises by So-and-So, then copied and pasted it into the corps' technique handbook then distributed to 150 members, without ever paying So-and-So for an additional 150 copies?  Yeah, let's avoid broadcasting that online, shall we?

Truth.

5 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Because Drum Corps is powered by the egos of instructors and designers.