The Cadets 2019

4 hours ago, Quad Aces said:

True.  I would love to believe, though, that these kids (and the staffs for that matter too) are being taught like any well-trained performer to tune out the noise no matter what the circumstances.  The book “The Inner Game of Tennis” comes to mind.

You certainly can believe, but believe with the understanding the ages of these kids and the range of physical, intellectual and emotional differences in them all.  No matter how they are taught. Not one corps has 154 kids at the very same points of maturity in these areas.  Most probably tune out most noise, but all don’t tune out all noise. And I am thinking the top corps when I say this.

• Like 3

I can understand the need to wait in order to secure licensing. I can even understand waiting to announce themes until the season starts. What I find inexcusable is the nearly complete media blackouts from corps. There is hardly a whisper for nine months. It’s not like they’re reinventing the wheel, for the real innovation in pageantry comes from WGI. Honestly, if I didn’t communicate with my customers for nine months I would be driving a Ford Pinto and eating ramen every day. This practice has gone to an extreme.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wallace said:

I can understand the need to wait in order to secure licensing. I can even understand waiting to announce themes until the season starts. What I find inexcusable is the nearly complete media blackouts from corps. There is hardly a whisper for nine months. It’s not like they’re reinventing the wheel, for the real innovation in pageantry comes from WGI. Honestly, if I didn’t communicate with my customers for nine months I would be driving a Ford Pinto and eating ramen every day. This practice has gone to an extreme.

I completely agree.  What’s interesting is the cadets used to be one of the corps  that used to provide lots of off-season information and even content.   I remember in 2011 the cadets that actually did a full musical run through of their show from I believe April camp weekend via live stream on the Internet.  

The good news is if a coprs does  provide more off-season content  and is well received you know all corps will jump on the bandwagon just like with all the other changes  🙂

Edited by Triple Forte

1 hour ago, Triple Forte said:

I completely agree.  What’s interesting is the cadets used to be one of the corps  that used to provide lots of off-season information and even content.   I remember in 2011 the cadets that actually did a full musical run through of their show from I believe April camp weekend via live stream on the Internet.  

The good news is if a coprs does  provide more off-season content  and is well received you know all corps will jump on the bandwagon just like with all the other changes  🙂

Maybe they have😉

2 hours ago, Triple Forte said:

It wouldn’t take much effort. If they don’t want any show music leaking then that’s fine. As a Cadets fan, I want to know what’s happening with the members. How long does it take to do an Instagram? A tweet with a pic? Seconds...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, wallace said:

It wouldn’t take much effort. If they don’t want any show music leaking then that’s fine. As a Cadets fan, I want to know what’s happening with the members. How long does it take to do an Instagram? A tweet with a pic? Seconds...

What sort of specifics would you like to hear? I'm curious, as I too am not a fan of all the secrecy, and I have my thoughts on what a corps could share, if not divulging show information, or music due to licensing. Just curious the types of things you'd like to see?

5 hours ago, Triple Forte said:

.   I remember in 2011 the cadets that actually did a full musical run through of their show from I believe April camp weekend via live stream on the Internet.  

🙂

Yes... and the 2011 Cadets marchers confidence and self esteem was so shaken with that April showing by a few post exhibition nasty assessments/ comments on Social Media by a few anonymous posters, that they could only eventually muster a 98.35 score in winning their DCI Title later that August. Heck, if the anonymous posters kept their negative comments in April off of social media and to themselves alone, who knows, maybe the Cadets could have won their 2011 DCI title later that season with a 99 .35 score instead.:rolleyes:

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Triple Forte said:

If I remember correctly, BD was the one getting a lot of armchair criticism 2011, and more so out on the road on tour..hmmmm

Seems this subject could be a thread all itself being it's not just Cadets in silence. After all the thread is 2019 Cadets

Edited by GUARDLING

21 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Insofar as " encore songs " are concerned, just about all the Top 12-16 or so Corps have their Signature Encore songs they've played so many times over the years, most of us know them by heart. Just about all of them are under no further licensing infringement challenges any longer, Eleran, as that has been settled by all these Corps with that issue long ago. Corps that intend to play NEW encore songs are of course under the gun to make sure such licensing is secured. However, the simple solution to that concern is to not play such NEW encore songs for fans. There is nothing to prevent Corps however from playing their signature songs, nor for the Percussion battery to be on video playing, and dozens of other things that would not come under the licensing issue concern, imo. These types of things have been done in the recent past by these Corps too, and without any issues. So the excuses for the absence of even THESE types of play at camp videos doesn't hold much water, imo.

what if the arrangement is changed? does that fall under the prior issues? Just because you get the ok once, does that mean you have it forever?

the devil is in the details.

19 hours ago, Quad Aces said:

Point well taken.  But does this affect the judging and outcome of shows?  I would hope the judging community isn’t partaking in this sort of info and therefore prejudging the shows.

i doubt it affects the judging one iota. Despite the ill formed preconceived notions many have about the judges, they could care less whats said on here or by any type of fan site. If they did, most of the hated BD shows in the last decade that won wouldn't have won

• Haha 1