The Cadets 2019

20 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

I remember walking by the corps in the parking lot as they were getting ready to lineup and march to the gate in 1989. That corps looked like they were made up of 15 and 16 year-olds. I heard later that there were a lot of 17 year-olds in the corps, but they looked even younger to me. Could not believe they took 5th. I thought that was incredible considering their age and, most likely, experience. 

As we await the 2019 edition of the corps this conversation has become quite interesting, even though I disagree with a number of individual comments or observations

1989 was an extremely inexperienced/young Cadets corps - the guard was fabulous and the show really connected with the audience

I remember seeing the corps in early JULY and the brass line still wasn't full

However by August the membership had vastly improved execution (even with the almost all new staff - huge departure to Star)

1990 we saw that hard work fully realized as the corps captured another world title with many of those 1989 members

2011 was not a highly executing Cadets corps - the show itself was a GE monster (as mentioned above) - perhaps visually the most GE monster show since some of those great Cavaliers programs of the prior decade. At finals I was a little surprised by the caption scores - clearly the DCI judging panel loved the program and clearly the members worked hard - and the judging community certainly put them in first

Cadets corps in 2012, 2013, 2015 were all more loaded than that 2011 corps (IMO) - design flaws may have cost Cadets the shot at two more Championships during that stretch

I personally felt BD was the "best" corps that night - but as we know the "best corps" doesn't always win - see Cadets 2007 or BD 2013 IMO

Everything I'm hearing about Cadets 2019 is promising from a talent standpoint and/or a design team standpoint -  seems like a relatively smooth off season

The upcoming all-corps camp (next weekend) is very important

A number of vets aged out of guard in 2018 - the corps will need  an influx of experienced but young guard members to build and improve upon 2018

Hopefully we''ll see maturing brass and percussion sections and a young & talented guard

My biggest concern remains visual and/or drill design --- I haven't been impressed by visual/drill design since 2015, so I'm hoping that improves

Happy Easter!
George.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Ghost said:

GE 1st. by +.75

Visual/Guard 2nd. - .20

Music  1st place tie with the BD

Beat the BD by .55 for first.  The adults might have given the mm a great show to perform and a nice gap in GE scores, but the mm had to execute it.  Of the ten captions, they had six firsts, three seconds, and one third.  The second and third place caption gaps added up to only .6 behind the first place corps.  Seems to me G that that corps was pretty strong as has been other corps that didn’t even win.

They won - so yes, they were highly ranked by the DCI judges. They weren't IMO the best corps of 2011 - but they were a great corps & had by far the best show of the season 

Obviously GE was key - the music tie was helped by an absolutely phenomenal front ensemble - arrangement & soundscape design was incredible 

Edited by George Dixon

1 hour ago, FTNK said:

Am I the only one who can't stand 2011?

2011 was interesting, but for some it had more to do with the interesting season that show had. Because of the two uniforms, picking up errors was easier. The term “dirty” gets thrown around a great deal but in 2011 specifics could be given which made it a hotbed of conversation. I only saw them once in 2011 in Lawrence, MA. Though they placed 2nd, you could sense an energy that might catapult Cadets in Indy. I think that can sometimes add excitement. Remember too, lots of folks thought there would be a Blue Devils three-peat, which was not a happy thought of everyone. I liked “Between Angels and Demons” and by the time I saw it it was very strong, but the roller coaster ride going from top to fourth then back to top as the season progressed made it exciting too. 

4 hours ago, FTNK said:

I loved 2011, but I also thought it could have been better. But compared to what they had given us the year before, I'll take 2011 any day of the week. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, FTNK said:

Visually, it was way too innovative and perfectly designed and executed to let the show be bad, imo. Obviously the percussion book is to die for, especially the break, but the brass book left a whole lot to be desired for me, unfortunately.

• Like 1