The Cadets 2019

1 minute ago, FTNK said:

Well they’re going there- making a meta show that is a straight-up and unvarnished repudiation of Hop. The music sounds interesting. Haven’t people said Maslanka won’t grant arranging rights?

For what it’s worth a lot of the badasses and people I looked up to, members and instructors, when I marched there were women. Paula Hyman, Christen Juel, Julie B., Selena Maytum...

Maslanka himself passed away recently. His estate is much more willing to grant the rights (multiple corps last year).

I love Maslanka, but does anyone else feel weirdly about corps jumping on the arrangement train so soon after his death? He was ardently opposed to his music being reinterpreted, I just feel slightly weird that so many groups immediately jumped at the chance to use his music.

Maybe that's just me, I dunno.

1 minute ago, acolli17 said:

I love Maslanka, but does anyone else feel weirdly about corps jumping on the arrangement train so soon after his death? He was ardently opposed to his music being reinterpreted, I just feel slightly weird that so many groups immediately jumped at the chance to use his music.

Maybe that's just me, I dunno.

I don't. I'm happy Cadets are playing it and can't wait to hear the arrangement. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ZachDrumCorps said:

I agree that the concept and music are wonderful, but they have to be careful about how "preachy" it gets because that will make a large portion of the general drum corps audience tune out pretty fast

I think there's lots of ways to go without being literal to the point of backflip Jesus

• Haha 4

I'm not overly thrilled with the concept.  The drum-corps-as-social-commentary trope is rarely ever done well, and has been particularly groan-worthy when attempted by past Cadet designers.  But... that was a different crew.  We'll see how the new blood handles it this time.

I can't help but feel this is the continuation of some sort of apology-tour concept, though and I really want this new iteration of the Cadets to start zagging and shaking up the activity again.

All that being said, the hornline sounds really solid and I like that much of the rep seems to be stuff that's fresh to the activity.  I will be cheering for them via my living room Flo!

• Like 4