The Cadets 2019

6 minutes ago, ftwdrummer said:

Welp.

Never mind on the no-vocals thing...

I can get over the vocals. I love the end of that!

7 minutes ago, chaddyt said:

I'm not overly thrilled with the concept.  The drum-corps-as-social-commentary trope is rarely ever done well, and has been particularly groan-worthy when attempted by past Cadet designers.  But... that was a different crew.  We'll see how the new blood handles it this time.

I can't help but feel this is the continuation of some sort of apology-tour concept, though and I really want this new iteration of the Cadets to start zagging and shaking up the activity again.

All that being said, the hornline sounds really solid and I like that much of the rep seems to be stuff that's fresh to the activity.  I will be cheering for them via my living room Flo!

I can totally understand the reaction 

the show is hopefully delivered as subtly and artfully as Babylon 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, chaddyt said:

I'm not overly thrilled with the concept.  The drum-corps-as-social-commentary trope is rarely ever done well, and has been particularly groan-worthy when attempted by past Cadet designers.  But... that was a different crew.  We'll see how the new blood handles it this time.

I can't help but feel this is the continuation of some sort of apology-tour concept, though and I really want this new iteration of the Cadets to start zagging and shaking up the activity again.

All that being said, the hornline sounds really solid and I like that much of the rep seems to be stuff that's fresh to the activity.  I will be cheering for them via my living room Flo!

Welcome back @chaddyt !!

Valid concerns, and I have some concerns as well. I think I'm gonna try to keep an open mind until I see the show. Hopefully it makes me a fan. 

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 2

Does anyone know if Maslanka maybe gave permission for arrangements after his death? Maybe it was that he didn't want to hear his music messed with, but didn't care after he was gone.

• Haha 1

I’ll probably be accused of virtue signaling again, whatever that is. I don’t see how equality and opportunity could be made “political” unless you twisted yourself into knots trying to. (That guy is gone) Seems like it would be too much effort. Lol. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, acolli17 said:

Does anyone know if Maslanka maybe gave permission for arrangements after his death? Maybe it was that he didn't want to hear his music messed with, but didn't care after he was gone.

Maybe ask Scott Litz. He's pretty friendly. 

36 minutes ago, acolli17 said:

David gave full control of his publishing company (Maslanka Press) to his son Matthew, who eased the licensing restrictions on David's music a year or so before his death.

The first ensemble I know of to use a work by Maslanka was the Bixby HS band from Oklahoma in 2016, who played "Give Us This Day" as part of their program. This was less than a year before the composer died.

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

I can totally understand the reaction 

the show is hopefully delivered as subtly and artfully as Babylon 

I figured they were going to go towards a similar sort of niche as Babylon as well. Lack of communication seems to be a trend found in a lot of art forms from film to music to art to even drum corps. Most art forms are reflective of the social conditions we live in, hence the darker shows we've been getting these past few years. The youth of today are full of more angst than I would say ten years ago, and I think these types of shows are perfect for them. 12.25 (even though it was far from being the best Cadets show), doesn't seem to resonate as much, compared to that of say, Inferno for example.

• Like 1