The Cadets 2019

3 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

this "back story" is just there to guide and give purpose to the visual/music design and choreography - it's layered into the program, and I'm with you in hoping it's in a SUBTLE way

for me this is a massive WIN

A show about women is a massive "middle-finger" to GH

Using a different Paul SImon song (than the one originally planned for last year's program (Sounds of Silence) just another sign they aren't quite ready to "move on"

Last year the SOS references left in the show, the rope between the women ("victims") in their ballad, the words sung by the singers ("hear me now") all subtle and not-so-subtle references that this is an organization ###### OFF and they aren't going to take it anymore

The corps is more talented/experienced and the show appears to be purposefully designed more difficult aka more competitive

They will work hard to move up and hold-serve as the organization is rebuilt (in some ways built for the first time) brick by brick

Thanks for you thoughts Sir. With all due respect, not sure anything good will come from an ongoing hatred of Hopkins. George will have his day in court and he will pay for his sins. The Cadets must move on and put Hopkins in the rear view mirror.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, dans said:

Thanks for you thoughts Sir. With all due respect, not sure anything good will come from an ongoing hatred of Hopkins. George will have his day in court and he will pay for his sins. The Cadets must move on and put Hopkins in the rear view mirror.

They are moving on. We're in the early stages of that. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, dans said:

I understand George, and I agree. I still have PTSD from the Hopkins era:beer:

you and me both LOL

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

I think we should all just ignore those political labels and love some drum corps! Can't wait! 

Agreed. From the clip on their website, this show is going to be a fun one, no matter the placement at finals. I'm excited!

• Like 1

IMO it's only political if you make it political. 

The Cadets are celebrating 50 years of admitting women into the corps. So for them to be putting a focus on women seems appropriate to me. Of course you could add on the Hopkins stuff, the Me Too Movement, and the inequalities that women have had to deal with it certainly puts more weight on it. Inequality should not be a political issue, but a humanitarian one. We should be doing things to bring us closer together and not farther apart. 

The fact that the Cadets want to make a show that points out these things and want to bring us together should not be a bad thing. 

As others have said, I think a lot of people are uneasy because it sounds preachy in the way a LOT of shows created by Hopkins were. Guess what... he's gone. Last year there were a ton of messages being said that were done in a very subtle way that (in my opinion) wasn't anywhere near the "in your face" obviousness that GH created in his design. I would be shocked if it were anywhere close to the way it was done before. The act of being subtle is an art of itself and is hard to pull off and I do believe this staff wants to convey a message without having to bash you over the head with it. The synopsis is just a framework for the show. That doesn't mean it won't change, but the thing that stands out is their vision for the show is pretty clear. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm not overly concerned about the theme of the show.  It's the execution and effect that matters most.  I HOPE it doesn't become political, because that's not the reason I attend drum corps shows.  I can certainly understand the reservations some people have about the description that was released yesterday.  After all, this is The Cadets, and we have all seen plenty of ideas gone bad in the past.  But, lets not forget, MANY members of the current leadership were INVOLVED in those past artistic mistakes, even though they weren't necessarily RESPONSIBLE for them.  I'm betting that the current team learned from what they experienced in the past.  And they are bound and determined to do things THEIR WAY this time around.  And determined to do them BETTER.

Again, I hope the show doesn't become political.  I REALLY AND TRULY HOPE!!  But, just like in the past, if there are things I don't like, I will try to ignore them and focus on the good stuff instead.  And from what I've seen and heard so far, there is going to be A LOT of good stuff!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dans said:

I was extremely disappointed with the essay about the show. Many leftist/progressive buzz words in there. I don't see how this show is not going to be political. It seems as though politics is written into the show theme. I will try to put faith in the new design team and keep telling myself that this is not a George Hopkins production. I have to be honest though, the show description doesn't sound to far removed from Hopkins. Honestly, maybe the show should be called women's suffrage, part 2. And before anyone jumps all over me, I am not anti women. Just confused why women have been made the latest group of victims in America!

Not sure what "DCIphotographer" found amusing about this statement.